Is there something wrong with this picture?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I posted the bottle buckling on Craigslist today. Had a response within 20 minutes

Him: Do you still have this for sale??

Me: Yes, he is available.

Him: --- ok thanks but i wont be coming to see it as i work out of state. i'll add extra $50 to the price for you to keep for 2 days and i'll be paying with certified check,so i will need your info to mail the check to you.

What the heck? Uh, I don't think so! But, what's the deal? Does this ding dong really think I'm going to send him my address?? Sheesh!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did go ahead and send him an address:

Girly Girl
1 Million Park Avenue
State of Confusion, A?S

Think he'll send me a fake cashiers check?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, that's fantastic! I've never gotten a scammer on CL before.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I even googled his email name and it comes up in google as a scam... My question is why? What has he got to gain - besides my address? I wanna know how the scam plays out....ARGH!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Usually, they overpay you and ask you to wire them the difference. At least, 10 years ago when I was a bank teller that's what they did!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ohhhh - that makes sense. I mean, I guess if you're a scammer it makes sense to think that there are honest people who would send money back, lol. Thanks for clarifying that.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeahhh. That's classic scam. Then they will send more than asked for and want you to just send them the extra back as cash.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
There's a reason why scammers are obvious! Weeds out the responses so they're not wasting time grooming people who aren't going to fall for it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's so sad, we would have to ask people if they knew the person who wrote them a check. And there were definitely some people (mostly elderly) that did not understand what we were saying. So we would flag the check and put some crazy long hold on it, and the security man got it to deal with. Must have been a fun job for him. Not.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh man…. I mean, I knew it was a scam - I just didn't know how it worked. That's probably why he offered the extra $50.... what a jerk!