Is this governement run the way it was meant?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Okay, I have AP US History this year at school. I have been learning about the Revolutionary War and The Declaration of Independence recently, I am seeing something here. For almost the last 150 years almost this Governement has not been run the way it was meant to have been. From the Civil War to the Federal Reserve Act.

As I have interpreted the ideas of the founding fathers, the United States are supposed to be United States . Like the Commonwealth of Massachusetts not just America. Its supposed to be a union of separate sovereign states that have common goals. Why are we not like that now?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Bee :D I watched the first one it looks interesting

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
A UNION of SEPERATE SOVREIGN states...yeah that was always meant to work :lol: Sounds like too many cheifs and not enough indians, and boy are we ever getting THERE fast! The thing about democracy...everybody gets too big for their britches and then you have the bullies versus those picked on, and my bible says a house divided against itself will fall. I tend to agree. ;) One need only look at the current presidential race polling to know we're divided :hu Nobody is happy, because nobody is getting their way 100% and won't and so the masses perpetually squabble like a bunch of petty spiteful spoiled children. Life's not fair. That's my very cynical simplistic point of view. The true issues are underlying and much uglier but I won't start a typing war by laying them all out there. Basically, a single person is pretty smart, but people are generally stupid.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We've drifted so far from their original intent that the founding fathers would spin in their graves if they knew what was going on. Unfortunately, a bureaucracy tends to breed itself into what we have. Add to that an apathetic population of sheeple and... :(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yup I so agree

we have drifted way off the original content and have violated the Constitution so many times it is a joke.

Candy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Too many chiefs and not enough Indians?
really?

there are suppose to be 50 chiefs in the USA, called governors of states
They have largely lost power to the Federal governement that would make every single state an "Indian" reservation... fully disempowered.

then there are suppose to local cheifs called Sheriffs who are suppose to inforce constitutional laws as well as local rules chosed by the local people.

they are now succumbing to the FBI and CIA and USDA

there use to be state militias, now we have the national guard, who are swept up by the federal government to fight wars on foreign soils.

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Imho, the civil war would have happened eventually. The ratification of the 17th adm. was the final blow to states rights. I'm shocked that this did not start CWII. This adm. should be null and void, 100% unconstitutional. That would make all that follow as well...
I would keep the 19th however!
Someone needs to hit the Reset button!:hide

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
In regards to the Civil War, I say that by how the governement was intended it should have been perfectly legal for states to secede. As far as slavery, it should have been done away with and would have been as the industrial revolution set in. HOWEVER one can tell that this was not President Lincoln's agenda by the fact that when he issued the Emancipation Proclomation (1863) he only freed the slaves in the 11 Confederate States (which truly, did he have jurisdiction?). That left the Slaves in Kentucky, West Virginia, Missouri, Delaware, and Maryland enslaved. So no I don't think that was the true cause for the Civil War, maybe a mask for the true purpose.

The Federal Reserve is also unconstitutional, considering it is operated by outside powers and banks :rolleyes:

So many injustices...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Okay, I have AP US History this year at school. I have been learning about the Revolutionary War and The Declaration of Independence recently, I am seeing something here. For almost the last 150 years almost this Governement has not been run the way it was meant to have been. From the Civil War to the Federal Reserve Act.

As I have interpreted the ideas of the founding fathers, the United States are supposed to be United States . Like the Commonwealth of Massachusetts not just America. Its supposed to be a union of separate sovereign states that have common goals. Why are we not like that now?
Prior to the Civil War/War between the States, is was "The United States ARE", afterwards, it was "The United States IS". The implementation of the Articles of Confederation and the way the Confederacy was structured proved a weak central government would not allow a nation function to effectively, particularly in times of crisis. Even while the Army of Northern Virginia was pleading for reinforcements and supplies that were in the Carolinas during the war, all the Confederacy leadership could do was to ask nicely from the States.

Since the early 1900's, the power of the Federal government has greatly expanded, primarily to some pivotal rulings by the Supreme Court.