Is this just a bad time to buy hay or what?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
micro condensed timothy, huh?

I'll have to ask around.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Our large round bales were $40 last year- we haven't gotten a price for this year, yet. We use 10 of them a month for 7 horses. I really really need to get down a few horses!

BB- how do you handle the large square bales? (you mean the 500 pound ones?). Our little kubota tractor can push or pull the round bales because they tend to roll pretty well, or we flip them end over end with the bucket. I think we'd need a bigger tractor to actually lift the big squares.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
valmom said:
Our large round bales were $40 last year- we haven't gotten a price for this year, yet. We use 10 of them a month for 7 horses. I really really need to get down a few horses!

BB- how do you handle the large square bales? (you mean the 500 pound ones?). Our little kubota tractor can push or pull the round bales because they tend to roll pretty well, or we flip them end over end with the bucket. I think we'd need a bigger tractor to actually lift the big squares.
We have them loaded on the trailer and when we get home, just cut the strings and stack it in parts. The leaves stay well compressed and stack nicely.
We like this size, cause we have no way of dealing with rounds properly. We are on one acre and its set up goofy.
And, we built a hay feeder on the wall in the barn, that those extra large leaves fit into perfectly.

If we do field picking this summer, we will stick with small squares, but if we work for the one farm that sells the large ones, we will go that route.
We still have to put up a proper shelter too. For now, we have been storing it on the "patio" where it has stayed dry and snow free.