Isaac

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Passed through a storm last night. Not near as bad as Katrina or Gustave. Thought I'd log on now. I'm in the eye, but should be about to experience the 2nd half of the storm. Well, there are a few strong gusts, so it might be starting, but not too severe.
Power missed about 8pm. DH turned on our generator at 4am, when we first got in the eye. It was rather warm. Not sure how many chickens I have left. I did give them some high water protection, so I'm hoping they had the good sense to use it.
I made out okay, but I have some mess to rake up all over the yard. I imagine we will have orders not to burn. I'm told BIL's roof was wiped off his bedroom....not that he was there at the time. He and the wife spent the night on their boat. I believe most people stayed home for this one.
Wish it would hurry up and go up north fast and wet. They need it furthur north than we do.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are okay! After living in Florida and seeing smaller hurricanes first hand I know what you are going thru! Got my fingers crossed and just KNOW ya'll be okay! Got my fingers crossed for your chickys too..:hugs

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for checking in, Rhoda! :hugs

Isaac will be coming to visit us (AR)on Friday. NWS has us under a flood watch but we sit up high enough that we won't worry about flooding. Our area is 15" below normal on rainfall, at this time, so we'll take what rain we can get at this point. :/

Stay safe, hon! :hugs

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Been going thru the 2nd half of the storm for several hours. I have cabin fever. I actually wanted to put on my boots and start collecting branches. Seems like my family has done pretty good so far....actually, I think most of the parish is doing well. So glad we have a levee system. Guess when this is over, it will be time to, once again, get our winter's supply of firelogs. My pecan tree lost a huge branch and I think there is a willow on top of the power line on the north side of my yard, stopping my neighbors from having power. I'm in Lafourche Parish....town of Cut Off.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Glad you're OK. And while I wouldn't mind getting some of the rain, I hope it holds off until Sunday afternoon!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Power restored last night at about 9pm. Some of my contacts were rejoicing. Most people I know have at least small generators, but not whole house and it gets really hot here. My daughter claims she sometimes lays down on the floor to cool off at her house. She is lucky to have obtained my grandmother's house. Old houses are built smart for whatever enviroment they are located, generally. I have a soggy mess, but soon, I need to start cleaning. Well we sorta did with the larger branches and the pool. But I need to rake, and the chickens would appreciate it. My best friend lives on higher ground and came over for a visit with 3 big bags of pine needles, Thank God. Have to put on boots to tend the birds. But I can assure you the waterfowl have been perfectly happy.
Hurricanes are inconvient, but I like to stay positive. At least it gave us the encouragement to pick up everything real quick, for safety, but as an added bonus, it does look neater. Also, the cypress trees will sure love all this water and I'm sure they will help suck it up fast enough. I now have litter to give the birds, that I wouldn't have otherwise had for another 3 months.
I only heard of 2 fatalities credited to this storm and when I heard the details, I don't even think its fair to blame it on the storm. Someone died skying in FL and some other guy fell out of a tree while helping someone move.....I don't understand that last one for anything. RIP and all, but that can happen today as well.
Tell you what. Generators are nice, but while all this was going on, I was glad I had so little food to worry about spoiling in the freezer, and so much more canned and dried in the pantry....as well as live in the yard.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Can't say I blame you. I know I want to have some stuff in the freezer for easy meals, but want to can what I can.