Itchy Dog...benadryl ain't cutting it....

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Like so many things around here this year that are a month or so behind, so is the terrier/beagle's annual itchy skin outbreak. She usually gets this in July, but has really been itching like crazy the past week.

Our vet neighbor is on vacation - he usually has a shot that clears her up, but he won't be home for a couple of days.

We've been giving the dog benadryl twice a day, but she is just miserable. Any suggestions?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
A cool oatmeal bath would alleviate some of the itch. Cool is important because cool soothes itching. It's probably allergies :( Poor pup!

Martyg

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My cat has developed horrible skin allergies. I was taking her to the vet every month for a shot, but have put her on a grain-free food (dry)- bathed her, and am using over-the-counter cortizone spray. It is keeping her comfy. Either way I don't think she'll grow back all the hair she's lost over the past year. She is 13 1/2, and so sad we lost our two dogs that she loved so much - and her litter mate. I have a new dog - but it's 9 months old, and she doesn't like it because she doesn't feel like running and playing. I expect I'll have to take her back in a few weeks to knock back the rash again. It's not too bad right now, but the hair loss continues - slowly. The vet said - "No cure".

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had a dog with allergy issues. Spent lots on shots, shampoos etc. Found out his problem was the soy in the dog food. Once we changed his diet he never had another problem with it.I'll be praying you can find relief for your dog.
Nancy

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Washing my dogs feet when they come inside has helped when it is a pollen allergy. The vet has given one of my dogs atarax when it had a reaction to a vaccine. Sometimes I (not my dogs) take zyrtec instead of atarax for my allergies. Don't know if any of this will help but good luck!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Soy, corn, and wheat are common causes for skin problems in pets. A grain-free food might help in the long run.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I feel your concern Jaime. We have had the worst summer ever with our male dog and itch problems. We have taken him to the vet three times and nothing seems to be doing the job 100%. The cortisone shots help but not 100%. Allergy shots do nothing at all. Oatmeal, tea tree oil, ACV, and many other shampoos and dips seem to help for a short time. Benadryl helps a little but I think it just acts as a tranquilizer. The one thing that helps most and longest is plain old-fashioned Sulfadene. I have used about a quart of it this summer as it helps get us through the nights better than anything else.

We have had a few cooler nights and he seems to be much better now. But he has some gigantic sores from scratching that do not want to heal now. Not only that but his hair is much thinner than it was last spring. He is a 95 lb. golden retriever and he had a very thick blond coat and now there are bald patches and the coat is thin everywhere.

We have a female 100 lb. golden with very thick dark hair and she never has any of these problems. Fleas and tics must not like her because she almost never has them. Yeah she scratches once in a while like any dog but she never has hot spots or any kind of skin condition.

We do everything we can to keep the fleas at bay but we hate to use harsh chemicals. DE helps but the harsh chemicals do the trick much more effectively.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Poor Spikey dog is itching bad. He is having a bad summer with the skin problems. But then again the stupit dawg won't stop eating the chicken food or poop. :sick

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Soy, corn, and wheat are common causes for skin problems in pets. A grain-free food might help in the long run.
What she said. 95% of all dog allergies,skin problems and ear issues, are food related.

If you ever want to research what your feeding your dog, try this website. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'd try some medicated baths (look in the dog shampoo department at Petsmart) and make sure you don't have a flea problem. Dogs that flare up in the summer often have an allergy to fleas and just one or two can cause a problem. If you don't have any fleas, I'd try keeping the dog indoors more, possibly it is the pollen outside.

What dosage of benedryl is the dog on?