It's a toasty 78 degrees in the house

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That's right and nothing but the fireplace going. It's about to burn me up because we are use to keeping it around 63 degrees.

We have freezing rain going on here. The roads are clear but not the trees and things. Our electricity went out for an hour.

jackie

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow jackie you are getting lousey weather but your house is cooking! hope those roads aren't too bad for you come morning!

it is 75 in my house right now and I swear I am thinking of turning on the AC......lol.....it was in the 70s today and hot outside....like spring. Now we are hot in the house but it will start to cool down soon.

ice on the trees is so pretty. but ice on the power lines and such is not. I dread our first ice storm, not yet thank goodness.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I forgot to turn the furnace on last night. Woke up around 6 and it was 58 in the house. I could not believe it.

What type of fire place do you have? Does it have a blower on it? Just wondering.

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't know what type of fireplace it is but the people we bought the house from said it was an expensive one and worked better than the house they built before. It does have a blower but when the electricity went off for little over an hour I couldn't tell the difference in the temp.

jackie

swampducks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Boy, would I love to have the house at 78!!! Heck, I'd take 70! We kept it at 68 max all winter because the propane prices skyrocketed last fall. DH wants to put in an outdoor wood furnace this year, in fact we applied for a loan Friday. Even though the propane dropped a little when gas prices fell, we're sure they'll go back up. He says the wood stove will pay off in about 5 years. He's even planning to hook the broken hot tub up to it (his parents did theirs and it works great!)

Will be nice to sit in the hot tub after an afternoon of hauling/chopping wood! :)