It's happening again....

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Yeah natural flavors are a big no no with soy too, and I already have to watch out for it with DD. I don't have very many processed foods in the house anymore. there are just SO MANY bad ones, and bad things in them.
I just avoid them all. It's easier. I have way too many chemical sensitivities. Although mine all tend to be in the manic, hallucinating, extremely paranoid variety. Faster heartbeat sounds almost restful. :rolleyes:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
freemotion said:
It is probably the msg. It is labeled on your food as modified food starch.

MSG is evil! :somad
I thought modified food starch was just a wheat or corn starch that had been enzymatically modified. And I think the modification is mainly to change the size of the starch/carbohydrate molecules, which influences how the viscosity of the final product will turn out.

The only evil I know of, when it comes to this stuff is for those with wheat sensitivities. But that has other symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified_starch

Edit: As far as I know, there's no MSG in modified food
I somehow missed this post last night. MSG is monosodium glutamate. It can be produced in your own kitchen. Glutamic acid is one of the aminos, but when broken down via high heat processing(or overcooking in some instances..think Crock Pot) it frees the glutamates. Glutamates are an enzyme that, when consumed as a whole enzyme, are digested fairly easily, but when broken down, some folks bodies do not process them and it can cause a number of different reactions. DD swells like she has a food allergy, which it is not, only because it is an enzyme rater than a protein, and therefore is not defined as a "true" allergy. It is considered a sensitivity. It has been a while since I studied all of this, so some of my explanation may not be spot on, but I believe the protein/enzyme explanation is accurate. I researched 4 years to get her diet straight to where she doesn't wake up with a fat lip in the morning. I should have a friggin college degree on MSG already :/ :lol:

I think it may very well be the MSG. We rarely consume things that each other can't have, but the buttermilk was gifted, and I figured I could use it. Apparently my body thinks otherwise. I usually buy the brand that has like 2 ingredients...meaning it's REAL buttermilk, without the extra crap, but it goes bad quicker. So, at least I don't have to throw out a bunch of stuff because I can't eat it, because there is already no more of it in the house :lol: *sigh* It's still annoying though :p It truly felt just like my soy allergy kicking in. I really hate that feeling :hide

I am better today, still feeling kind of yuck, but not like last night. My body feels tired at the moment, and my digestive system is still protesting a bit. It'll take me a day or so to get back up to par I figure. UGH..just when I was finally feeling well rested again too :lol:

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
MSG is monosodium glutamate. It can be produced in your own kitchen. Glutamic acid is one of the aminos, but when broken down via high heat processing(or overcooking in some instances..think Crock Pot) it frees the glutamates. Glutamates are an enzyme that, when consumed as a whole enzyme, are digested fairly easily, but when broken down, some folks bodies do not process them and it can cause a number of different reactions. DD swells like she has a food allergy, which it is not, only because it is an enzyme rater than a protein, and therefore is not defined as a "true" allergy. It is considered a sensitivity. It has been a while since I studied all of this, so some of my explanation may not be spot on, but I believe the protein/enzyme explanation is accurate. I researched 4 years to get her diet straight to where she doesn't wake up with a fat lip in the morning. I should have a friggin college degree on MSG already
I looked on the intertubes and discovered that lots of people have this type of sensitivity---with all kinds of symptoms. AND I found out some evil details about food labeling laws. Wow. All the more reason to continue cooking and canning...

I spoke with a woman who worked in a food-addative lab, who told me about their plotting new ways to produce precursors to MSG, nitrates, and nitrites. They figured out how to put stuff in the food that turns into MSG, etc, when cooked.

A few details, because it's interesting and, as a biochemist, I can't help myself:

MSG is an amino acid. The monosodium is just a bit of sodium that sticks to the glutimate because they have opposite charges. It's a result of freeze drying, mainly, and not important from a food-allergy point of view.

Glutamates are chemically related to glutamic acid, but they're not enzymes. And enzymes are all proteins. Some of them use non-protein components, but as far as I know, all enzymes are proteins. Glutamate commonly refers to a neurotransmitter, which kind of explains why it screws people up. I just wonder why more people don't have problems with it.

Many enzymes are messed up by the high acidity levels that are found in your stomach. Luckily.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Wannabefree said:
MSG is monosodium glutamate. It can be produced in your own kitchen. Glutamic acid is one of the aminos, but when broken down via high heat processing(or overcooking in some instances..think Crock Pot) it frees the glutamates. Glutamates are an enzyme that, when consumed as a whole enzyme, are digested fairly easily, but when broken down, some folks bodies do not process them and it can cause a number of different reactions. DD swells like she has a food allergy, which it is not, only because it is an enzyme rater than a protein, and therefore is not defined as a "true" allergy. It is considered a sensitivity. It has been a while since I studied all of this, so some of my explanation may not be spot on, but I believe the protein/enzyme explanation is accurate. I researched 4 years to get her diet straight to where she doesn't wake up with a fat lip in the morning. I should have a friggin college degree on MSG already
I looked on the intertubes and discovered that lots of people have this type of sensitivity---with all kinds of symptoms. AND I found out some evil details about food labeling laws. Wow. All the more reason to continue cooking and canning...

I spoke with a woman who worked in a food-addative lab, who told me about their plotting new ways to produce precursors to MSG, nitrates, and nitrites. They figured out how to put stuff in the food that turns into MSG, etc, when cooked.

A few details, because it's interesting and, as a biochemist, I can't help myself:

MSG is an amino acid. The monosodium is just a bit of sodium that sticks to the glutimate because they have opposite charges. It's a result of freeze drying, mainly, and not important from a food-allergy point of view.

Glutamates are chemically related to glutamic acid, but they're not enzymes. And enzymes are all proteins. Some of them use non-protein components, but as far as I know, all enzymes are proteins. Glutamate commonly refers to a neurotransmitter, which kind of explains why it screws people up. I just wonder why more people don't have problems with it.

Many enzymes are messed up by the high acidity levels that are found in your stomach. Luckily.
As WBF mentioned, in its natural state, problems will not occur. Its the manufactured stuff, that is used to imitate and enhance flavors, that is the problem.
We are not wired to ingest fake or damaged stuff.
As far as it seeming like not many people have reactions to it, I would put forth that everyone is damaged by the stuff.
Take any person on the street, put them on a strict msg free diet for a few weeks, then have them eat a food containing msg.
Its very unlikely that they will walk away unscathed.
And besides all that, I would also venture that it is the rare person who eats processed foods, that really knows what reactions they are dealing with.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Wannabefree said:

Awesome explanation! I knew I didn't have it quite right :/ Oh well, the internet does not go much into detail as to understanding what does what and how. Makes me wish I was a biochemist :D That is awesome detailed information you have provided! So, MSG reactions ARE real allergies? I was told by a Dr. they were not because it was an enzyme...then again...I told the doctors at LeBohneur what was wrong with my kid when they couldn't figure it out :p They were testing her for lupus because that is what her reaction acts like. Then she did testing for schleroderma, and that wasn't it, then they tested her for other things and sent us to LeBohneur who ALSO could not figure it out after a year, THEN momma got mad :somad and figured it out and called back and told all those meanies that were poking my baby that it was a darn food allergy :lol: And they corrected me, because I am just a dumb parent :smack

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
P.S. I totally agree with you BubblingBrooks, most folks just don't know. Something was making me fat and as soon as I started making my own foods from scratch, I lost 45 pounds without batting an eyelash or even trying to lose. Folks want to cure the obesity epidemic...shop local, and cook from scratch :hu