its looking like a rooster *cries*

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My thing, the "it", is most likely a roo :( My boss kept telling me because of the breed its just a very slow grower, but I didn't want to believe her. Hermphrodite was way more cool. But, its been mounting every hen it can.

Now, it has no spurs, is not aggressive/flogs and does not crow...yet. However, roos are illegal in my city. So when do I give him away? First crow? What if he never crows? Should I just chance having it? What would happen if I got caught?

:( I'm so sad Carry is a Carl!!

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
Carl may soon become Stu?

I wonder if they have rooster muzzles.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lol, no roo stu here!! Unless SHTF or they deserve it, pets remain pets. It also has zero meat, plus I don't eat meat and SO is a red meat kinda guy.

Ohh, I wish they had muzzles!! I'd put one of the mexican fighting hen, do you know she's a third of "its" size? Yeah, "it" challenged her so MFH chased "it" around!! Rofl.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
If it won't crow, who'll even know
that you have a rooster? Until it crows for certain, it shouldn't bother any of your neighbors.
One way I tell the roos from the pullets is by the saddle feathers, pullets don't have them. I have a pullet, that I noticed the saddle feathers on the other day, I guess "she" is going to become bbq :p

actually more then likely, she'll become Stu, because he is too small for much of anything.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd agree. Most city folks can't tell a rooster from a hen anyway, if it never crows. And almost certainly it's the nuisance noise that provoked a no-rooster law. So if it doesn't crow, or until it does, I wouldn't do anything.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
If it won't crow, who'll even knowthat you have a rooster? Until it crows for certain, it shouldn't bother any of your neighbors.
One way I tell the roos from the pullets is by the saddle feathers, pullets don't have them. I have a pullet, that I noticed the saddle feathers on the other day, I guess "she" is going to become bbq :p

actually more then likely, she'll become Stu, because he is too small for much of anything.
Haha. But very true, if it doesnt crow you will be fine.