I've got sprouts! Woohoo!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got a bit of a late start, but decided to try winter sowing - where you just put your seeds in a container of dirt, cover them so it's like a little greenhouse environment, and set outside. I just learned about it 10 days ago and figured it was still cold enough so I may as well try. (I do not do well with starting seeds inside, it's too much work for me right now.)
So now I've got broccoli sprouting! The peas haven't done anything yet.
I'm going to prepare a spot in the raised bed and transplant in a couple days. I'll keep them covered like you would in a cold frame. Time to get out the rest of the early seeds, I guess.
I have onions, chives, parsley and some other yet to be identified things coming up. Haven't checked the asparagus yet.

I did pretty well with direct sowing last year, but I got a really late start. I'm ready this year!

:ya :weee :ya :weee :ya

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:clap YEA!! :weee Come on SPRING!!

I have 420 seeds sprouting in my living room window. :p I also direct sowed last year and lost a ton of seeds due to a late frost. (It was my first year in this climate. I learned my lesson!)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
420 :th

Way to go! :clap That would sooo overwhelm me! Plus I wouldn't have anywhere to put them. This house doesn't get enough light. I wish I had realized that before we bought it. :/

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cool on you! So is that the method where you take like a disposable pie dish, fill it with dirt, plant the seeds, put the cover on & then set it outside? I've read about that too, but we've already gotten some 60+ days (along with 30* nights blah) so I figured it was too late to try it this go round. I wonder about the warmer weather stuff though...

Think I could try for my okra or tomatoes?

Dang Sally, thats a LOT of seeds. I thought I was doing good with my few dozen. Did you know hardy kiwi take for-EVER to germinate? Like weeks?! I've had these puppies in a warm sunny spot since late January and they are only 1" tall with one set of true leaves. I'm impatient...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I lost my three kiwi's last drought we had. It was my own dam* fault too. :rolleyes: I am still kicking myself for that one!

There is a one man run farmer's market here. The man (Jose) said I can bring up my veggies, herbs and fruit and he will sell them for me...for a small fee.

Noobie, cool idea for a pie tin!

Let me know how your asparagus fares, I'm starting some from seed too...it is my first time.