January Jump-Start (Garden Dream and Plan Thread)

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to have some restrictions just so I can stay on top of it!
I have acres and acres of hay fields that I could (try) to convert to garden space, so I have to have some sort of limit lol

I think I'll work with these three areas this year:
house garden ~540 sq ft
clay garden 1250 sq ft
squash patch 1250 sq ft

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I popped into Aldi this afternoon for a quick grocery shop and they had seeds in stock… right in the middle of aisle 3 too, in case you missed it. (I nearly did, I was so sleepy this morning) Well, I got…

Peas
Cauliflower
Carrots
Courgette (I was aiming for cucumber - did mention I was sleepy)
Watermelon
What they call round "courgettes" and I'm hoping like mad is those elusive gem squash I've been looking for
Dwarf sunflower seeds - assorted colours
Swiss chard

I need broccoli seed still. Since I didn't buy any, I'm guessing they didn't have it in stock as they are high on my must have list. And corn. I really miss fresh corn on the cob!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I popped into Aldi this afternoon for a quick grocery shop and they had seeds in stock… right in the middle of aisle 3 too, in case you missed it. (I nearly did, I was so sleepy this morning) Well, I got…

Peas
Cauliflower
Carrots
Courgette (I was aiming for cucumber - did mention I was sleepy)
Watermelon
What they call round "courgettes" and I'm hoping like mad is those elusive gem squash I've been looking for
Dwarf sunflower seeds - assorted colours
Swiss chard

I need broccoli seed still. Since I didn't buy any, I'm guessing they didn't have it in stock as they are high on my must have list. And corn. I really miss fresh corn on the cob!

Makes me hungry just reading the list!!! They make round zucchini? :th

Did a search and apparently they do! Learn something new all the time.... :D

20-july-010-1.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Will be planting my sweet onion seeds this day...the seedling tray is warming in the sun as I type. Planting Candy onions, as they are supposed to do well in our zone and climate. I've planted them before successfully, just not on this land.

First step towards spring! :weee

We are having a heat wave today, almost up to 50* out there and it's topping 60* in my coop, even with all the windows and door open. A warm breeze is melting the snow quickly and I hear birds singing out there. :love Yeah, yeah, I know it ain't spring but I can pretend, can't I? :D

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I told DS11 the watermelon seeds are for him and he can help me choose where to put the sunflowers. When I got up this morning, he was out in the backyard already, clearing the space he chose for his garden :love It was over 50F here today? Strange, considering it poured snow yesterday morning. This warm temperature is making me more and more impatient to get out there and garden, but I know it's going to be cold again before Spring. Patience, patience, where are you?!? lol

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Awwwww, gotta love a boy who loves to garden! Mine could have cared less and grumbled every time they had to work in it.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Spring is just too far away it's:

Snow and ice month (current month)
Snow and ice month
Maple syrup month
Spring (though that doesn't mean there's no snow and ice)
Really Spring
Definitely Spring!
Summer
Hot Summer
Fall
Chilly Fall
Cold Fall (which is really winter but we're in denial)
Winter

Lol, I started with the first four and then decided to keep going :lol:

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As for the garden, handed over some seeds to my dad to get started.

Leeks and onions will be started in a couple weeks, most everything else won't be started until March