Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to our store.

As a yungen, the store seemed to be the meeting place of the local farmers.
Bored out of my mind, being proper, I stayed and waited with my step dad.
In the spring, bets were taken, ramblings of who has the new stuff, who is going to test the new seed, and so on.
The country store was a media house as well as a gathering place of local folks.
Folks would bring in grain/corn and leave with feed. Some folks would bring in goods, and leave with staples.

About the only thing better and stronger than the meetings at the store, was harvest time.
Unknown by some, loved by many, because harvest time meant that we came together to get the crops
in and worked together without ill feelings. It didn't matter if your tractor was green or red, it didn't
matter who did what at the fair in FFA or 4-H. What mattered most of all, that we all made a living.

So 20 years later, I returned back to my roots and this thread is my story.

I started this thread showing pics of my new home/property because I worked so hard to get back home. I know
it's not much, but it's my little space on mother earth that I love. My house isn't fancy, but it has good bones.

I hope I can teach you something, or you can teach me. Being self sufficient is a lifestyle, a choice, where people
teach/help each other.

globe1.jpg

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome! Enjoy the journey.:welcome

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Hello again! Nice to see that you started your own journal...I'm sure I'll be picking your brains soon!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
So now that I have more time, I tell you a little about me.

I'm 38, married, and have moved back home to the country to start my life as I was raised. At 14 I was forced to move to the city because we lost our farm.

Almost four years ago, my wife and I drove from Newport News VA to here looking for a home in the country. Went and saw many homes, but this lttle farmer built rancher sat on the side of the mountain, had five acres, and a fishing pond. My wife is from England, and she also was raised on a farm.

The front steps to the house were falling down, the well water was bad, and there was water leaking into the basement. The house had been on the market for 1 1/2 years, so we put in an offer $73,000.00 less than the asking price. Next day, with some hand money, the house was ours.

We scrambled back to NN V.A. to get our house on the market, sell it, move the family and business. Wow, we sure took on a lot stress!!!:barnie

Our new house
bbb.jpg

The new steps and lamp post and light I made.
a.jpg

Last Halloween, pumpkins from my garden.
aaa.jpg

Following photos are taken from different places in my back yard including my pond. See the bridge in the back ground to the left? I built that from wood that was harvested off my land. This lumber was already sawed up and stored behind my shop. My shop was also built from wood harvested off my land. I did the same for my chicken coop.

b.jpg

aaaa.jpg

bb.jpg

c.jpg

aaaaa.jpg

cc.jpg

ccc.jpg

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
The bridge I made.
P1010280.jpg

Now, sometimes, things are worth bragging up, and one of many reasons we bought this serous fixer-upper was because of the side deck. In the photo is my DW shadow, Peanut, our family dog.

P1010310.jpg

My garden last year
bbbb.jpg

aaaaaaa.jpg

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
YOU HAVE YOUR OWN FISHING POND!!!
That is an awesome home you have there, and those front steps look really nice.

P.S. I have to say I am a little jealous.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
YOU HAVE YOUR OWN FISHING POND!!!
It's a dream come true for a fisherman like me!! :celebrate

It's great for fishing, but bad for swimming. It's those Parana Blue Gill that live in there, they are not very friendly. :rant

The pond is fed by a cool underground spring, so the water is about 67 degrees in July. So I got some tubes, and me and the kids and wife hopped in after working in the garden. Then it happened, :ep one of those dang paranas bit my nipple!!!!! :rant :lol: It happened so fast, and it down right hurt, worst than getting a twister. :hit

I got out of the pond, sat on the pier, than the wife had a mole bitten, oh was she mad :somad I said see I told you I got bitten, after being heckled for 10 minutes. By the end of the month, we had a pool installed. :ya The kids live there during the summer.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:lol: :gig

From the looks of your journal and those amazing pictures, you belong in our little community!