Jen-pi's Journal

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi guys! Ive been reading this forum for quite some time and I figured I would go ahead and bite the bullet and start a journal.

Im a 36 year old mother of two boys. We have two adopted Beagles and six chickens. We had seven, but poor Mario kicked the bucket. Have been married to my husband for 11 years.

We have an old farmhouse in North Central Wisconsin with five acres. There is a big barn and a smaller one on our property. I guess the big barn was a "grain" barn back in the day so it has an open loft. Our chicken coop is built into the barn. There is a door that leads in from their fenced in cjicken (dog) kennel. During the day we let them free range wherever they may please and when they go home to roost, we lock them up.

I have two gardens, one being slightly larger than the other. The smller garden this year was the tomato/pepper garden. My husband started from seed about a half a million pepper and tomato plants - figuring we would get about half to actually germinate and survive. (So his math meant we would have then, two hundred and fifty thousand plants)? Anyway, of course they all germinated and thrived in our south facing bay window. I was giving plants away at the end of May! Sheesh!
In the bigger garden, we had (more peppers) yellow, buttercup, and acorn squash, beans, cucumbers, sugar peas, garlic, onions, watermelon, cantalope and a volunteer pumpkin.
Soooo....I was a canning and freezing fool come July and August!

Anyway, Im here because I would like to become better at being SS. I HATE going to the grocery store. It just makes me sick to see all of the pre-packaged sh&% they have.

Just wanted to introduce myself.
I will write more tomorrow!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I am subscribing to this journal. You seem to be an interesting person, I am looking forward to reading your adventures. Im BarredBuff you can check my journal out too. Its on the main journal page somewhere.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hi baby!

wow did you start a salsa farm!? ha! great work - cant wait to see more!

glad you are here!
:)

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcomes.
Yes, OFG, it was quite the salsa garden! We are slightly addicted to hot pepper jelly poured over a brick of cream cheese served up with crackers, so that is where the majority of the peppers went. My Dad took a bag full, and we made some Jalapeno poppers and some salsa. I wasnt too impressed with the salsa I made, it was a recipe from the Ball Blue Book. It's not really hot enough (not even for my 10yo) we always end up adding some Chalula Sauce to it.

I want to tell you guys about my corn cob jelly making adventure:

So, I read somewhere about being able to make corn cob jelly and I really wanted to try it. The author said that it works best with regular ol field corn. Now, on the dead end road that I live on, there are fileds of field corn all around me. I thought "self, that farmer wouldnt miss 12 ears of that corn". So, I talked my hubby into going on a late night corn mission.

*Cue the Pink Panther Music*

So, its about 11:00PM and we agree it is "the time". My 10yo is reclined lazily in the chair watching Dragon Ball Z. We ask him if he wants to go, and we get a big yawn and no he doesnt. So, hubby and I don our black knit caps, black jackets (and jammy bottoms) and take off across the street. Entering the corn field, I realize just how dark it is in the middle of the field and we procede to rip the ears from their stalks. Im having a bit of a hard time getting mine, but hubby has his loot. We decide that we have enough and turn to go back to the house when this smallish figure comes running up to us and yells "BOO"!
I learned that I am the "freeze and dont move and they wont hurt me" type of person and hubby was winding up with the only weapon he had available, and plastic grocery store bag of field corn.
Luckily, we realized in time that it was our 10yo son just playin a trick on old mom and dad. He thought is was HILARIOUS. Me, not so much. Daddy, says the kid took a good five years off his life.

The jelly turned out great, it is a beautiful shade of red. I will post some pictures tonight.

Anything else you guys want to see pictures of? I have found that one of the things that I enjoy most are the pictures on this forum.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I like your son's style! That sounds like something I would do? (Did you or your DH need to change your drawers? :lol:)

Latest posts