Jersey cow

Crusty McPottydoodle

Power Conserver
Reaction score
She's adorable. I would be curious about why they are getting rid of her. They don't say anything about her age - which makes me wonder.

If I remember correctly, Jersey cows have a higher cream content in their milk. Mmmm.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We had a few Jerseys when we had a milking herd. They're smaller and easier to handle than Holsteins, and they eat less, and such pretty eyes!!! They produce less milk, but it does have more cream. From what I can tell in the pic, she has a nice udder. Besides her age, I'd want to know how long she's been milking in this lactation, and when she was bred back. Some cows don't breed right away, so end up dry for a long time before the next calf is born - a reason some farmers would sell.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
From the background, I'd guess they can't afford to keep her.....I'd LOVE a Jersey cow! There is an organic dairy that advertises Jerseys on occasion and the price is always lower than I would every expect.

After those articles on Organic Valley and the way they treat their farmers, I'm not surprised when someone has to downsize. Also, if they are replacing older cows with younger heifers that they are raising, well, these older cows would be a great starter cow for someone. I'd love one!

One day, if I get my pasture up to speed, I may just get one for a year, just for the experience. With just the two of us and no kids and having to buy hay, I can't really justify it. But I'd do it for a season just for the experience. Oh, the cheese! Oh, the butter! Oh, the cream!!!!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Someone posted a Jersey and her 3 week old calf for sale as a pair here... and if I had the money I probably would have bought her... she was 4 years old and with the calf they were asking $350!!!

Hubby would have killed me...

I love Jerseys, I think they are gorgeous.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had one named Honey when I was a kid. Mama would milk her and she could shoot a stream of milk right in the barn cat's mouth. Her milk was delish - Mom always skimmed off the cream and put it in a small pitcher. I was never able to get the cream - brother always beat me to it.