Just completed my very first lamp wick!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay I realize its a small thing, but I am terribly excited and my city friends think I am nuts.

example :

Friend: So what crazy project are you working on now?

Me: I am weaving a lamp wick out of the cotton I spun up last week.

Friend: Good God, why?

Me: So I know how should I ever need to do it

Friend: ( exasperated sigh ) So are you going to teach your self brain surgery in case you get a tumor?

Me: Now that you mention it.. that might not be a bad idea ;)

Anyway.. its dried and in the lamp and sucking up oil just like its supposed to and not burning up at all. I am very pleased with the results.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I've had many conversations just like that with friends! :lol:

Congrats on your new talent, now will you please teach us?? :p

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh Lord! in my excitement I totally forget to tell you all what I did!

So, I started with raw cotton, cleaned it, combed it , spun it and plyed it. However if you don't spin you can start with cotton yarn or thread . Just make sure you get the pure , not dyed cotton. I then wove it up in a flat weave , just like friendship bracelets we've all made. Once it was woven and tied off , I soaked it in 1/2 lemon juice with a 1/4 salt dissolved in it for 4 hours. Sure, that was likely over kill but I was working too. then I laid it out and let it dry completely, then I soaked it again. I let it dry again, then I put it in the lamp and gave it 20 minutes to soak up oil. I think I did my weave a bit tight so it took longer. All of this was a combinations of recipes I found on google searches :)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's so cool & a great talent to have.....good for you! Thanks for posting.

But......I must have missed the friendship bracelet weave :/ , so could you elaborate a bit? :fl

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Rebecka said:
Friend: ( exasperated sigh ) So are you going to teach your self brain surgery in case you get a tumor?

Me: Now that you mention it.. that might not be a bad idea ;)

Anyway.. its dried and in the lamp and sucking up oil just like its supposed to and not burning up at all. I am very pleased with the results.
... Or how about dentistry! :lol:

Congrats on your success! I totally get it and time well spent if you ask me!!