Just found this great site

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Another newbie here. I've been lurking for about 6 months and have learned a lot! You all have inspired me to learn to water bath can (last summer was my first time), ferment dill pickles (I used my crockpot liner and a weighted plate), sauerkraut, make pickled eggs, make my own mayo, BBQ sauce, beef jerky, and yogurt. Just this AM, I started fermenting bean paste (from the NT book), but learned from freemotion's experience to only fill my jar 1/2 full! I love to cook, and prefer to make my own REAL food, rather than buying readymade stuff. I don't have a lot of space, but am trying to grow as many of my own veggies as I can. My only fruit tree is an avocado. Since I live in the suburbs, and our backyard is mostly concrete and swimming pool, I'll probably be doing a lot of container gardening. I do have some planting areas that I'm converting to "growing veggies" plots.
I work in an elementary school office and have the summers off; I start back in a few days. It's a fun job, but I've really enjoyed my time off to try all these "experiments."