Just got my canning lids in the mail!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, boring I know, but you people are the only ones who would understand my excitement....I just got three cases of canning lids....that is 1584 lids total!!!! EEEK! Am I insane, or what?

But I cannot help just admiring the boxes with their rows of boxes, all neat and shiny and just waiting to be opened.....so many possibilities....and no more $3 + boxes from the feed store! :clap

ETA: which brings up a question, as a new and obsessive canner: I need some storage ideas! My cellar is damp, floods in the spring and heavy rains (not too bad, sump pump, but lids might rust.) We live in a storage-challenged Cape Cod style house. Jars are heavy. I have a couple hundred, mostly pints and half-pints, a few quarts.

Is it ok to stack the jars? How high? I wish I could make shelves between the studs in some walls, but that would likely reduce the value of our house. Can't risk it.

Has anyone tried some kind of pull-out shelf or drawer system? I need something pretty big.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
:celebrate
Very exciting!!!

Now do you have 1500 jars??????? I run out of jars before I run out of lids!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In regards to the pull out drawer shelves... My dh built some pretty beefy drawers in his work bench. The metal glides sell rated for different weights and they are full extension. Not sure if you want a construction project. But the drawers are possible.

And please share your source for lids.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
:clap I do understand the excitement!

:bow So please tell us, where did you find such a deal to get so many lids?
www.fillmorecontainer.com sells them by the case....60 boxes of regular lids and 36 boxes of widemouth lids (I got two of these) and the per box price is just over a dollar each!!!! (eta: for the regular size, widemouth is about 1.70) Cheaper than the cheapest price I found on clearance at Walmart last fall.

You know you'll use 'em! I just had to convince dh to put almost $200, which when I explained how much I would save....and I no longer restrict his jar-opening (he is quite the eater) he was ok with it, within minutes, really.

Here is the cost, I found that ordering that second case of widemouth was worth it in savings in shipping over a re-order:

J31000 Ball Regular Dome Lids $69.59 1 - - $69.59
J42000 Ball Widemouth Dome Lids $61.20 2 - - $122.40

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUB TOTAL $191.99
(PA Tax Exemption Form) TAX $0.00
(UPS Ground Residential) SHIPPING $17.69
TOTAL $209.68

Have fun! :celebrate

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
:celebrate
Very exciting!!!

Now do you have 1500 jars??????? I run out of jars before I run out of lids!!
No, but I do have a lot....a quick count revealed 21 cases and a bunch of loose jars, maybe 23 dozen. I still run out of jars. I do make catfood, we use a pint a day, and I pressure can so I do convenience foods for us working folks, the usual stuff like chili, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, soups galore, meatloaf, and chunks of meat. Also black beans, we eat a lot of those. Lots of half pint jars for one-person lunches, too.

I go through a lot of lids, since I don't just can in August, like many do. And everything I can is the type of thing you open the jar and use the whole thing up at once.

I think I have canning OCD. I just started in September!!! You should see my garden seed/plant list for spring, it is very unrealistic right now, especially since the lids arrived!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
In regards to the pull out drawer shelves... My dh built some pretty beefy drawers in his work bench. The metal glides sell rated for different weights and they are full extension. Not sure if you want a construction project. But the drawers are possible.

And please share your source for lids.....
Thanks, did he get the glides at Home Cheapo or similar store? I have an old, large cabinet I got at a tag sale for $10 that held an early radio, someone re-fitted it with rough shelves. I am using that right now, but the spacing is all wrong, and it is pretty deep. So I may try to re-fit it with pull-out shallow drawers, if I can.

I also think it is time to clean out under the bed....that might be a good place, gotta check out my under-bed boxes and see if they are the right size. I have seen diy trash-to-treasure projects where orphaned drawers have wheels attached and maybe a cloth lid attached for underbed storage. Time to watch the roadside on trash day, especially in spring.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes I am sure the glides came for HD. Wow, I like that drawer under the bed ideas. On wheels even. Oh, I bet I could build like a trundle sized drawer. Oh better yet I'll keep my eyes open for a trundle. whoo hooo!!!

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What a deal! And it would be a time saver around here as sometimes they are hard to find. Many stores sell out - they haven't figured out the whole customer need/inventory thing yet.

I get mine in the Amisha area and thought I got a bargain at $1.20 a box for small lids. Large were $1.69 I think.

Thanks for the link. I must check it out. Always looking to save money.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I vote for putting a trundle under the bed too!!

I used up a ton of my pint jars making lunches for DH. He loves them! His favorite is chili. I made up a 20 quart roaster full...we ate chili for four days and then I put the rest into pints for him. I think he had enough for 20 lunches. I have also made him vegatable beef soup from some leftover deer roast. I just break the leftover meat up, add a bunch of different canned veggies and some cut up potatoes...let it sit all day in the crockpot and then canned it up.

Latest posts