Just out of curiosity.....

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I have been wondering about this during the evening today. Out of curiosity how many animals would a family of 4 to 6 need to provide all the meat/dairy/poultry/eggs they'd need?

Here is what I have come up with:

12 Laying Hens
8 Breeding Rabbits
1 Beef Steer
1 Hog
24 Broilers
3 Breeding Turkeys
3 Breeding Ducks
25 Meat Rabbits
12 Meat Turkeys
12 Meat Ducks
2 Milking Goats

What are your alls thoughts?? :pop

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you mean for the year I think it looks about right. I would just add the garden and fruit trees to round it off. Course I am still a ways off from that plan.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
A lot is going to depend on the family. For instance, if they don't like turkey, they're not going to need any. And, if they don't like goat's milk, a cow might be a better choice.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Some of those animals produce very big litters and quite often...like the rabbits. That list seems like a whole lotta meat to me....my family couldn't eat all that meat in 3-4 years, probably more.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
It was something I was wondering about. Nice to know your thoughts...I think as far as working animals (breeders, milkers, layers) that list is correct. But we usually eat 1/2 a beef a year, when we buy it as a grass fed half a beef. That is mainly because we have it on hand. I am sure it will be the same when we get the half hog in the fall.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well we eat meat every day, usually 3 times per day. We'd need a LOT more chicken, and a lot less turkey. DH won't hardly touch turkey even though he loves it, because of the tryptophan. It messes with his narcolepsy and makes him too drowsy. We'd need a few steers instead, or 4-5 deer, to last us the year. And the fruit and veggies, we are pretty much going to have enough this year, but that accounts for 2/3 of our food. We eat a lot of veggies and a good bit of fruit too. We'd also need a pond. We can't live without some good fresh fish ;) We'd miss tuna and salmon, but I think we could manage :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't including the garden, berries, foraged food, or fruit. :D I was talking animal wise

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well i think ours would look more like this then:

15 layers
2 steers
1 milk cow
75 meaties
2 hogs
4 meat turkeys
5 deer
8 meat ducks
100 fish

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We basically eat beef and pork as main dishes, with fish thrown in here n there. But I'm going to base this list on what we would prefer to have available, not just what we do now

2 Dairy cows-Each could easily raise 2-4 calves a piece and give enough milk for the house and other uses such as clabber for pigs/chickens and fertilizer for the garden/pasture
24 DP Chickens-Eat extra roo's/hens
10 rabbits-2 bucks 8 does, the does each having 2 litters a year, allowing for plenty of freezer meat and plenty of manure for the gardens
2 pigs
10 ducks

We want fish too but I wouldn't know how much, as I've not looked into it enough.. probably 50ish or so

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
in terms of my personal needs.
id be feeding myself, the dogs and the cats

so my focus would be rabbits, quail and chicken as primary meat
id thingk 1 buck and 4 does would be minimum for rabbits
with the dogs eating id go through about 200 meat chickens a year
probably want 4 breeding groups of cortinux qual (about 20 birds)

i think 12 hens and 5-6 laying ducks would keep us in all the eggs we need
and 1 pig and 1 small cow should give me my redmeat and bacon/lard needs for a year.

2 full sized dairy goats for milk

i could probably pass on geese, turkey ect...

but my wish list is much more involved lol.

Latest posts