1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Maple Sweet Potato Hash - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Just out of curiousity

Discussion in 'Emergency Preparedness' started by Chic Rustler, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Jan 26, 2019
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

How does one prepare for martial law? Like if some guy declared a national emergency and then decided to make himself supreme dictator.

baymule likes this.
  2. Jan 26, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Run away! But really... I dunno. Time to research?

3. Jan 26, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

But it's a very sobering question that I don't know how to answer. I should probably give it more thought instead of giving a flippant answer.

Rammy likes this.
  4. Jan 26, 2019
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

More ammo.

Rammy and frustratedearthmother like this.
  5. Jan 26, 2019
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

I dont see anyway.

6. Jan 26, 2019
    Rammy

Rammy Almost Self-Reliant

I would think if martial law were declared, Id make sure to have as much ammo and food as possible. Im planning on getting some large storage tanks for water collection and have dozens of gallon jugs and 2 litres filled with water for cleaning or other uses.
    If you have a way to hide anything where it cant be discovered or taken easily if found, like guns, ammo, long term food storage items, find a place to do it.
    Guns can be hidden in pvc pipe either attached to existing pipe under the house making it look like part of the strucure, or you can bury it in the yard. Make sure to put stuff inside in a waterproof container and oil the gun good and seal in a plastic bag or something. Im sure you can find youtube videos on that.

7. Jan 26, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

I think it's important to be able to protect yourself, as well as having a means of hunting for your meat source. There will come a time when private ownership and use of guns is prohibited. This is a constitutional right. The very folks who are sworn to protect our rights are working to take that right away. Take the time NOW to arm yourself and your home.

But, seriously, how is a home owner going to stand against a military force? Not gonna happen, unless we mount a civil war of like minded individuals.

A follow up question: How long will the reader survive if access to bank accounts, gas stations, grocery stores is cut off? Utilities: electricity, LP, heating oil? Grain and pet food?

My bottom line: I will do what I can to protect. I am working towards self sufficiency with a chicken flock, garden, orchard, learning how to preserve food. But, ultimately, my faith is placed in God, regardless of outward circumstances.

8. Jan 26, 2019
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

We just sold the last of our registered firearms . Now none are tied to us on paper, so no one will come to collect knowing what's here (perfectly legal in NH, btw).

We have propane for heat currently but have multiple woodstoves in the shed so could make a heat source in an emergency situation. Plenty to hunt here, plenty of trees for firewood, we have chickens, pigs... biggest issue here is our short growing season.

I have spoken with enough military and police to know that neither will have full force if ordered to take our guns. We would never be up against the entire US military , a large number of them would take arms with us. No question. But it's not going to be a fun time if it ever comes to that .

9. Jan 26, 2019
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Prepare to die. Once you've done that, then and only then can you live freely, no matter what threat comes from mankind. Once you are not afraid of dying, there's really nothing they can do to you that has any true affect on you.

Anything else is pretty futile and is much like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

canesisters, tortoise, sumi and 2 others like this.
  10. Jan 26, 2019
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

Take what steps you can to be prepared for this but still, @Beekissed is correct- be ready to die. No matter what steps you take, if it's your time, it will happen.

Lazy Gardener likes this.