just what i needed

gourdhead

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i am starting a small greenhouse that will be attached to my backporch and was pondering what to use as a wall covering while remaining within the constainsts of looks and frugality. as i was driving down the highway i noticed a restaurant being renovated snd noticed a pile of potential recyclables. my o my, there was a pile of tinted plate glass. i asked and received. it appears to be more than enough to take care of my needs. what a deal! i am blessed with the ability to find a lot of reusable items so that i hardly have to buy anything. being retired and on social security does require a measure of bargain hunting. jon:)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats!! It never hurts to ask...the worse they can say is no. I recently asked a guy about his old pumpkins...he never "gives" stuff away, would rather throw it in the dumpster. I was hesitant to ask, but mustered the courage and did. Guess what?? He gave me 10 pumpkins for my animals!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
tinted plate glass for the greenhouse!! WONDERFUL and for free you can't go wrong!

post a pic of that greenhouse when it is done, I would love to see it! :)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nice, what perfect timing...
i keep my eye out for goodies like that thus far i havent had much luck, but im going with the persistence pays off method.

id love to build a greenhouse onto my laundry room wall its full sun and i could probably grow year round if i added some water barrels for overnight heat!

gourdhead

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i hope to have camera/picture posting skills sometime this winter and if my memory cooperates i will post pix. jon

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Will tinted glass let the right amount of light in?

gourdhead

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
after thinking about this question i may use a mix of tinted glass and clear acrylic. jon

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You might try calling a company that replaces windows and sliding glass doors to see if they have any old windows and doors that are going to the trash. They may just give you what you want.