JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well....im going to try this....Maybe I can keep up? :rolleyes:
01. Name? Debbie
02. Gender? Female
03. Disneyworld or Disneyland? Doesnt really matter..either I guess. I have never been to either one.
04. What is your favorite color? Hunter green.
05. What is your favorite kind of gum? I dont really chew gum often, but anything Winterfresh.
06. How much do you weigh? More than I should! LOL
07. How tall are you? 5 ft 1 inch...yeah, that inch counts!!
08. Can you swim? yes
09. Do you like to swim? Not really
10. Living arrangement? Married
11. What's on your mouse pad? Nothing..just black
12. Favorite board game? Monopoly
13. Favorite magazine? Birds and Blooms
14. Favorite Actor? Kevin Kostner (sp)?
15. Favorite Actress? Dont really have a fav.
16. Do you have an accent? Well...to a yankee, I guess I do! LOL
17. Favorite smells? Fresh cut grass, and fresh brewed coffee
18. Least favorite smells? Skunk
19. Favorite sound? Birds singing
20. Do you prefer pools or oceans? Pools, I can see whats in the water.
21. Do you watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer? Ummm,who?? No
22. Pencil or pen? Pencil
23. Who's better - boys or girls? Raiseing them? Boys!
24. Would you like to own a motorcycle? Nope
25. Do you sing in the shower? Nope
26. Who's the best looking Disney character? Mufasa, in The Lion King :)
27. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? Coffeeeeeee
28. How many rings before you answer the phone? I usually dont answer it.
29. How do you want to die? In my sleep.
30. Have you ever called a 900 number? Oh no!!
31. Gold or silver? Gold, I guess.
32. Would you ever go bungee-jumping?Ohhhh no!!
33. Do you like dressing up? Not really
34. Would you rather be short or tall? Im ok with being short.
35. Do you enjoy reading? Yes
36. What book are you reading now? Its a book given to me by a wonderfull friend I met on BYC. An Encyclopedia Of Country Living, By Carla Emery.
37. Favorite books? So far the one I am reading..it has GREAT gardening, farming tips..and canning..food preservation, and slaughter.
38. What was the last movie you saw?Wall-E
39. Favorite movies? Disney, or animation...yeah, im still a kid at heart.
40. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? Only when hubby eats right before bed! :D
41. What is your sign? Scorpio
42. What are your personality traits? Everyone says.." She never meets a stranger" I guess I like to talk alot!
43. What's your biggest fear? Loseing one of my children.
44. Would you ever have cosmetic surgery? No
45. Future child's name? Mine are all grown..and there BETTER NOT be a future one! LOL
46. Favorite foods? FRESH salads....load it up!!
47. Chocolate or vanilla? Oh, Chocolate...definately!
48. Do you like to drive fast? No
49. Storms - cool or scary? WAY scary!!
50. Do you like to dance? Not really
51. Do you do drugs? NO
52. Do you smoke? yeah :hide
53. What do you think of people who smoke? Its thier choice.
54. Do you drink? No
55. Favorite drink? Coffee
56. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other? Sure
57. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? Nope
58. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? Anything working with animals.
59. What's your "type"? Tall..strong..and NOT a moma's boy.
60. Do you bite your nails? Nope
61. Any siblings? yes 2 sisters, 2 brothers ( one brother living)
62. What movies have you cried in? Oh, I cry at LOTS of them
63. Do you believe in God? Definately
64. Did you ever cry over a guy/girl? Ohhh, yeah.
65. Have you ever stolen anything? NO
66. Do you procrastinate? can I answer this one later!?? Yes, I do
67. Do you believe in fate? Hmmmm, sure
68. Who's your favorite Sesame Street character? Animal!! The WILD MAN!
69. Do you organize your CD's? LOL, no
70. What is your favorite kind of music? 70's and 80's rock, and country
71. What are your favorite bands/artists? I guess I will listen to most anything.
72. What was the last CD you got? Bing Crosby..Christmas.
73. MTV or VH1? Ummm , neither
74. Who do you admire the most? My mother, God rest her soul.
75. Internet Boyfriends and Girlfriends? Naaa
76. Are you single? nope
77. Favorite TV show? Ghost Whisperer
78. Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads? Doesnt matter
79. Glasses or contacts? If for me, would have to be glasses..I could never put anything in my eyes.
80. What color are your eyes? Brown
81. What is your natural hair color? DARK brown, almost black
82. But what color is it now? Dark brown/black
83. Have you ever been in love? Still am!
84. Any pets? 3 Pomeranians, A Doberman...and 2 barn cats.
85. Good, decent, or poor grades? decent
86. Is the glass half empty or half full? Oh, its half FULL!
87. Do you type with your fingers on the right keys? Ummm, not really
88. What's under your bed? You want me to go look under there!?? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh no! Im not falling for THAT one.
89. What is your favorite number? 5
90. Favorite sport to watch? Figure Skateing.
Ok, so...now you all know...im a little crazy I guess. Getting into this SS lifestyle has been an adventure for DH and I.
See, I come from a country backround. We were poor...but always had each other growing up. Barefoot all summer, to save the shoes for when we were lucky enough to go to town, and for Church. At 12 yrs old, I got my first 22 rifle. I had a straight blade knife, with a sheath, I carried on my belt...all summer. My older brother Jeff,God rest his soul, and my baby sister BEcky woulg get up early dureing the summer...grab a gallon jug of water or kool aid if we had it...and 2 pieces of bread each. Take a trash bag each, and our guns and knives and head out into the woods for a few days. The trash bag was our shelter. We would trim bark from young sapplings to make rope to anchor our bag tent to a tree, and cut evergreen branches to cover our shelter, and for bedding.We would fish with long pointed sticks...and IF we caught something, we shared it..if not, we would eat ONE slice of bread. Yeah, we likes toughing it. My brother used to tell us..." This will help you survive one day" He was a great brother..and taught us to love and respect the outdoors.
My DH, on the other hand...was raised in a family of 5 children but thier father was active AF. They traveled alot, and never lived in the country. He is C I T Y ~! When I was 17 I started my first job and met Sam, my DH. I didnt like him at all...almost hated him at first..but, as the story always goes...we have been married 28 years now, and have 4 wonderfull children,and 5 grandsons. DH joined the AF when we married, its all the life he knew. He stayed in the full 20 yrs, and retired in 2000. We decided to settle here in Indiana...and DH wanted this small 5 acre farm. I told him, it comes with a warning....if I have a farm, I WILL have animals, and grow our own food. He was happy...or so he thought. We have been here 3 years now...and are trying to get this place in working order. We planted apple trees, grapes, cherries, and this spring we will plant peaches. We have blackberries, black raspberries, elderberries, persimmons and a few Mulberry trees. Last year was our first attempt at a garden, more to test the grounds. We had a small 30 x 30 garden..with green beans,tomatos,onions,beets,potatos,cucumbers,radishes, green peppers,and lettuce. A little of everything..to test the soil. This fall, we started another garden. It is 30 by 70. The smaller garden will be for potatos and onions only. The new garden will be for everything else. I love to cann everything I can get my hands on. I make our jams and jellies, and can fruits and veggies for winter. We have chickens, turkeys, and last year raised 3 pigs for the freezer. We have 2 freezers. One for poultry, the other for pork and beef. I do can some meats just because we lose power alot out here. Thats why we are looking into solar power. Next summer...I am hopeing to get Dorper sheep. They are good for Milking, and meat and will keep me from haveing to mow the one acre field next to the barn. We have a small pond but need to get it redug deeper and banked higher. It floods easily. :rolleyes: I do fish from it...but so far I throw everything back so it can populate better. Our families think we are crazy...always telling us we "work too hard" and " why not just go buy your food in stead of slaveing away growing it" They just dont get it. We LOVE this life...well, I DO, DH is learning to love it. :lol:
Thats about it...for now. Hope I didnt bore you all too much.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Justusnak...welcome to the SS!!! I have read your posts on the BYC and we both are getting Dorpers...mine this spring! I found a guy who is breeding a Dorper ram over Katahdin ewes and will sell me bottle lambs with their first colostrum(sp?) for $25 each.

It sounds like you will add some great info and spice to the forum!

:welcome

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Hi Justusnak!! I look forward to reading your journal!! Welcome!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey justusnak

cool intro. I love how you being country and DH being city...you are kinda Green Acres happening..LOL

yea nothing like growing your own and eating it! Some days with the work- I do envy everyone just shopping and not doing what we do, but ours is so much better! Worth the work!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmer Chick....I never even thought about it that way... Green Acres. LOL I have to give my DH credit tho....he IS trying. Almost anything I 'suggest" he tries and MOST of the time accomplishes. ;)
I suggested we build a wood shed this summer...he said..." I will start working on the plans,just tell me how big you think we need it to be" Like that matter...me teeling him how big to build it. I asked for another coop last summer...just something small for a breeder coop. Well, this " small breeder coop" is 12 x 30...with insulated walls...windows..ventilation..and electric. There are 4 inside pens. All pens are 8 ft deep...and run betweem5ft wide and 8 ft wide. I have a closet area for feed storage..and he will be putting in a water system this summer. The outside pens are 8 ft tall..and we will cover them this spring,(before the hawks hatch out thier babies) So yeah, if I tell him a 8x8 wood shed...I expect I could PROBABLY park my S 10 in it later. ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OOOhhhhhh....

you are real lucky with a DH like that. Ask for something small and you get a military mind planning behind that project. That is great!

I like guys who take pride in their projects and build things to last. That is the way Tony is and I am always so happy he is anal about his building..HA HA HA...drives me crazy when I ask for a "little building" and get Fort Knox but in the end that is the buildings we need...ones that last!

Your small breeder coop sounds wonderful. I like space. One thing we have is never enough space so your DH building that coop bigger was a good thing!!!! And you know we always acquire more critters! LOL

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, I agree on the "military mind". This is our second coop. The first was a learning experience LOL what we learned.... 1) build it taller. It is 5ft 6...perfect for me...NOT for DH. He is 6ft + LOL 2) raised floors. The first coop has a dirt floor..and floods when we get lots of rain. 3) Currogated plastic roofing sweats...inside! More moisture..not good. So, this summer, we will raise the roof...make it wood with shingles....and put in a wood floor. My greatest project for this summer will be my summer kitchen. I cant waite!! No more heating the house when I do the canning and I can cook out there on warm days, and we will have a cooler place to eat. I get all excited just thinking about it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea the hindsight in what we SHOULD have built after we did build...LOL...I know it well! that is why our farm buildings have gotten taller and bigger all the time--hahaha

a summer kitchen
now that is so cool

how far are you taking that project? are you doing a "real" one or just what you need to can and such?

I saw a summer kitchen at a persons home and it was fab!! They had an elaborate brick oven, grill sections, wood boxes, fire pit for fun evenings, then wrapped around with storage and counters, set up a wood stove area for heating pots and such, etc. etc. Just a nice set up and they could do it all out there. It was a full working cooking station. Then they built a canopy roof over the area like gazebo style roofing and such. All by hand themselves. WOW was all I could say.

but for me, a project I want to do is just a small outdoor oven and fire pit area for relaxing type thing. will be nothing like what they built and I am going with the cheap labor...me only...and will make it very basic. that will be enough for me.

what plans do you have?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Welcome Justusnak! Nice to have you with us, I am sure you will be full of great advice and have lots to contribute. What an interesting background you and your hubby have. I can not believe that your parents let you take off into the woods for days... oh my gosh! WHat an adventure that must have been!

I would love to know more about your summer kitchen. We have an outdoor BBQ area, with a bar counter/seating and such, but I would love to add a wood oven. I wonder what I would need to add to it to be able to can outside?

Glad you joined us :welcome