K-12 Curriculum for 100.00!

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been kind of looking around to find a curriculum to start formal schooling with our nearly 4 year old. I was wanting one that is thorough, and all we would need, and cheap.

I found one that I think is really great. It seems rather old fashioned, which is very appealing to me. Some of the textbooks included are from the 1800's. The english is very proper and precise. It is an entire system on one disk, including, I think 800 books, a math worksheet generator, and so much more. They also have the McGuffey Readers(on the disk). Their website is very informative and has a few videos on it showing the system. They also have a sample disc available that has a good amount of their stuff, with the printing disabled. You just pay around 5.00 to get the disk shipped to you. I got mine pretty quick.

They cover everything except science, higher math(pre algebra on) and history after WW1. I am so thrilled having found this program, we will be buying it soon.

It is called A2 Curriculum

Accelerated Achievement LLC is the name of the company. It is a home based business, which we love to support. :D

Their website is

http://www.accelerated-achievement.com/

I hope maybe that will help someone else who is looking for something along the same lines.

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I will let you know, glad to help!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would have loved to have something like this when I was homeschooling P. We just sort of flailed around and I kept wondering if he was learning what he needed. Turns out, when he finally took his GED test, he sailed through it. :woot
Math was the one subject both of us were weak in. Not arithmetic, but higher math- just didn't have a good enough grasp to be able to teach it. But there are tutors out there.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like there is a lot of good stuff included for the price, just beware that no one curriculum system will cover everything you need, address all of your children's learning needs, and that any portions of a curriculum that depend on worksheets for teaching are pretty much useless (no one learns from filling in the blanks).

Beware of dated information in the books included, a lot has changed in the world in the last hundred years. The reason that everything in this package is so old is because the copyrights on the material have all expired, not because old = better.

Old methods can be excellent, and I applaud the inclusion of phonics because phonics is often ignored in current educational thinking and teaching.

KellyK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am new to the board, but have home schooled our oldest two before. Our other children I have not. I feared I would spend the day trying to get them to do their work. It is why I stopped the homeschooling. I had to fight the oldest boy to get him to do the work. He could do all his school work in less than an hour, but I often had to fight him for 8 hours to get him to do any of it. I just got so tired of it all.

xoxocammyxoxo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm really interested to see an update on this. I'd really like to homeschool my son but I don't know if I'm going to be able to

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Homeschooling is easier than you might think- especially if you can be flexible. Once your child learns to read, it's basically just showing them where to get the information they need. If you enjoy gaining knowledge, your children will pick up on your enthusiasm and do the same. And almost everything you do can become a teaching session; cooking dinner? That can become impromptu lessons in arithmetic (especially fractions) and chemistry (what exactly is happening when you add baking powder or baking soda to a recipe?). Trips to the museum are obvious, but we taught our son a lot about geology by going to gem and mineral shows. And he learned a bit about geography because I made him figure out the route on the map and tell me where to turn, etc. I never bothered with formal "school time" because I was too busy and we both found it very boring. But he liked to read, and I would find books that covered different subjects in entertaining ways (I highly recommend "Don't Know Much About History" by Kenneth C Davis)
A friend of mine used to do things like spend a month studying a particular country in depth. They would go from locating it on a map or globe, then find the major cities. Study the history, the religion, the politics. She even helped them create the national costumes. The month would culminate in a grand feast of the national cuisine, in costume. It sounded like a lot of fun, but I never got around to doing that.
While the child is young, it's pretty easy. As they get older though, I found I started to worry about whether I was covering everything well enough. That was when I hooked up with a local testing center. I was still doing the teaching, but we had a little more formal direction. That was working well for us until they changed directors, and the new one took a dislike to DS. I pulled him out and continued to muddle through until he finally decided to try for the GED-- he ended up passing with honors, lol.

Latest posts