Keeping my feet warm in the winter

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time outside. And a big problem I have is keeping my feet warm in the winter. Reason? I'm allergic to wool, so I can't wear them. So, my feet sweat, and since my socks hold the moisture in, my feet get wet and of course, cold.

I know there are some wool socks that aren't supposed to itch. But, they're expensive and I don't want to spend that kind of money just to learn that they make me itch! And, I'm sure I'm not the only one w/this problem.

I tried doing an internet search, but wasn't having much luck. So, I figured I'd come on here and see what others w/this type of problem have done.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I have a pair of insulated rubber boots, that I wear with thick socks. That works fairly well....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Fleece is fine...very warm and good at wicking away moisture. You might also try knee high panty hose under your regular socks...folks have been using this little trick to keep warmer since the cowboy days.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do pretty well wearing three pairs of thin socks. They are not any thicker together than one thick wool pair, and if the first pair is cotton, they should let your feet breathe, so to speak.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made some fleece boot liners this year. They seem to work great - fairly lightweight, worn with a 'normal' pair of socks. I even have taken to wearing them around the house :) Deep winter, I wear a pair of thin nylon socks under a pair of regular ones. Not sure that would help much if your feet tend to sweat though :hu

DebFred

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What about a pair of cotton socks next to your feet, and the wool socks over those? Just a thought. The cotton is good for helping with sweaty feet, and they would keep the wool from touching your feet and skin.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I can't touch wool. If I do, my hands start to itch! A few years ago, I was looking for a suit for hubby, and found I couldn't look thru the wool suits. I had to stick to other materials.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what shoes/boots are you wearing? insulated, like mentioned is a good way to tackle it from the other side, instead of the socks :)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what boots I wear, I still have the same problem. And, if I wear socks that are too thick, or too many layers, I can't get my boots on cuz they're too tight! I have a pair of fleece socks, and they're so uncomfortable that I can't wear them w/most of my boots. Plus, they don't stay up. :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
get those nylon stockings, but the short sock kind. put those on first. stockings next to the skin helps breath, but insulates also. under your socks might help