kendals?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my daughter has asked for a kendal for christmas. she is 16 and takes good care of her things. but i dont have a clue about them. (the girl spends HOURS a DAY reading and looks for new books every 3-4 days, and not little books) she re-read the harry potters, the twilights, and the marked sieries all in the last 3 months! plus others. so this might be a good way to go.

can anyone help me?

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If she is an avid reader she deserves a Kindle. Just think . . . no more lugging books around, no more trips to the bookstore, and no more trips to the library. I would guess that 99% of the users love them and 1% say they miss the feel and smell of paper books. You can download 'Kindle for PC' for free from the Amazon website. It works quite well and it will give her an idea of what a portable Kindle is all about.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I spent the money and got my son a kindle touch last year for the holidays and as a family we all love it.. so I saved my swagbucks Amazon gift card money and got my hubby the kindle fire this year. He got it early due to his mom's cancer coming back and him having to stay with her and take her to dr/hospital sometimes and that way he has something to do if they don't have magazines. We love that too.. more features. not the new HD tho. the first version(it went on sale)
There are tons of free books on Amazon and new ones every month. and tons of internet sites that have free books for it too.. like Pixels of Ink.

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have one of the older kindles that's just a reader, not a touch or anything else. I like it a lot. I enjoy a lot of the free books I can get and have found new authors that I might not have tried, cause I'm cheap and don't like to pay tons for books.

One thing to keep in mind is it's very easy to spend lots of money. I'm one who would wait until a book was in paperback and usually buy it second hand (did I mention I'm cheap?) and you can't do that with the kindle. Bestsellers don't seem to go on good sales much. I think with the newer kindles you can get set up to share books, I don't think I can with my older one and I miss that. You know, you find a book that was a good read and loan it to your mom/sister/friend and they pass it around. No more of that for me.

It is hard to beat the convenience, I just keep it in my purse all the time and always have a book to read. You know, in those little bits of time standing in line at the grocery store, at a doctor's office, picking up the kids, wherever.

If you get one of the newer kindles, I highly advise to download the "where's my kindle" app. We got my 7th grade son one for Christmas last year and he took it to school and it got stolen. We never found it :(. If we'd had that app on it we could have traced it to the little punk's house and had a chat with the parents.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OH.. I borrowed my daughters old smart phone when she updated to a better phone and while it doesnt' make calls out I use it with my wifi as a mini tablet and downloaded a kindle app on it. those old smart phones are sometimes very cheaply bought and as long as it has wifi and you have wifi in your home( it does hook up to my computer if I need it to via cables/usb). so I do have a mini kindle on that too that I sometimes take if boy won't let me borrow his..

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we also are looking at nooks which seam to be the same thing, a littles cheaper. has anyone had one?

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does she have a smart phone? I have a droid and the kindle and nook apps are free. Lots of free books available as well.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no phones. i did end up buying 2 nooks for the 2 girls who still live at home. i have been playing with them. i might have to get myself one!

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
I have the basic kindle, not touch screen, but love it, would it be more convienient to have touch screen ect,YES, but is it worth the extra money not sure. I am very....frugal and i havent bought a book for it in a very long time. With the Kindle you can acess tons of free books on all subjects, so if you like to read a variety free is great, then if I need to buy a newer book that is a biton the high side i dont feel as bad. I dont need all the fancy stuff as I have my iphone and laptop at home. It is light and portable, I keep it in my purse. I am considering getting one for my 14YO daughter as she too is a HUGE reader. and is even joining a book club at school.
I would probably spend the extra depending on how much, for touch screen for her.