Kids are awesome

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My second oldest son (not biological) but who we raised through the department of childern and family services (DCFS foster parents). Just got a promotion into management and I'm very proud of him.

We were foster parents to him, his brother and his two sisters. Through DCFS the two brothers got seperated from us and his sisters for several years. We ended up adopting his two sisters and when the two brothers got old enough to speak for themselves. They went to court and the judge allowed them to move back in with us.

When they came back, they both were in very bad shape, school drop outs, mixed up in heavy drugs, beat down and broken hearted. It took several years to get them back into shape. It also took a lot of doing but we got them to both to get their GEDs and off drugs and restored trust to their broken hearts. We never did adopt them but they are still both are our sons.

He is married now and has two daughters, he has came a long long ways but I always seen a leader in him and we tried our best to encourage him.

I won't share the whole text message, I just had with him but I will share what he said that made me so proud of him.

IMG_20181031_223955.jpg

It's moments like this that make me understand why doing the right thing is not always the easist thing to do... And all those life lessons that took so much time and effort from my wife and I back then, are paying off big time. It's like sowing a seed and watching it sprout, caring for it and eventually it grows into a strong healthy plant that produces fruit of its own - kids are so awesome!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's amazing! Well done to him (and you) :hugs Kids are awesome, but often the PARENTS play a huge part in that, so we can say in this instance, that parents are awesome too :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's awesome - every kid needs someone to believe in them. Sounds like you did that for him!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most important job of your life. The best part is that he has YOU as an example of how to be a good dad to his own kids now.