Kind of obvious - Hang out your clothes

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'm doing an experiment right now, hanging out my laundry religiously - I know for some of you you're laughing at me, but I have never had the time to do this, and now I do, so I'm doing it! :p

My electric bill tells me how much I used last year, month by month, so I'm hoping to see a dip as a result of my efforts. I do three to four loads a week, that has to add up! The only complaint I have heard is from my younger son, who hates the towels dried outside, he says they feel like sandpaper. I told him consider it a spa exfoliation treatment! :gig

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Good for you! I'm fairly certain that driers use a ton of electricity, but I'm sure you could find the exact amount online somewhere. We also put up clothesline in our basement for year-round clothes drying ability (great heat right near our woodstove). You get used to the stiff clothes and never need to buy loufas again! ;) Plus, that self-righteous feeling fairly makes a person float through the day :)

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We hand our clothes outisde whenever practical and add a little fabric softener to the wash before hand. For the sandpaper son: Haven't tried it yet, but I learned on here to use vinegar as a softener, too.

werblessd1s

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hang dry all our clothes and bedding. Our electric bill runs $136 a month, it's a little cheaper in the winter. Plus I make my own laundry detergent.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would be interested to see your savings. I have benen hanging clothes on the line for at least 12 years now,however, I do use the drier some in the winter.

I am on the budget plan, so I haven't really looked at the usage to see the difference.

Keep us posted!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I hang out all of my clothes year round. I usually do about 6 loads per week. If I didn't hang them out, I would be using the dryer on high heat for about an hour per load. By hanging them out, I use the dryer for about 20 minutes on air only per load. My dryer is big so I can sometimes combine 2 loads. So...

Dryer:

6 loads per week
1 hour high heat=
6 hours high heat :th

Clothesline:

6 loads per week
20 min. air only=
2 hours air only (if I don't combine) ;)

It actually saves me about $25-$30 per month :weee

I also make my own detergent. :cool:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you tumble the towels in your machine - can be on cool (no heat) setting - for like 5-10 minutes after they have line-dried, your son will have nothing to complain of :)

Pat

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
If you tumble the towels in your machine - can be on cool (no heat) setting - for like 5-10 minutes after they have line-dried, your son will have nothing to complain of :)

Pat
Oh, the heck with him :lol:

No, seriously, Pat, I'll try doing that. My mother gave me those dryer balls, maybe they'll help. :)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
As long as it sunny out, I try to hang mine on the line...however, the winters here are too harsh for line drying. I do hang until they freeze on the line, though, lol. I think once I convince the DH to put in a woodstove, I'll be able to dry them inside on a line as well. Until then, its the dryer in the winter months :|

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have been religiously hanging out our laundry all summer. I've used the dryer a few times, mostly when the diaper situation (we use cloth, I don't even have any disposable back-ups in the house) has become, er, grave. :lol:

Our corresponding electric bills were: Pre-clothesline, ~$325; post-clothesline, ~$265. I'd say it's making a difference (though we've really buckled down on wasting energy and have become more conscious overall, so our savings isn't entirely because of not using the dryer).

I just bought a drying rack for inside (though it's quite flimsy and I'm not sure how much good it will do me) and am trying to work out a system for drying inside once the weather isn't so cooperative.

I love using my clothesline....and (I think we've discussed this here before) I also love my crunchy towels! :coolsun I also make my own detergent, and I've found that my clothes are actually pretty soft with the homemade detergent vs. the commercial stuff.