Kitchen Queen cook stove creosote flow!

buckcreek

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have problems with massive flow of creosote at the rear right side cleanout, behind the oven? If so, how have you dealt with it. I have been given the suggestion to freeze it, then chip out, by a welder friend. I don't understand why it has gotten so bad. The stove is brought up to high temps, for a spell every day, trying to keep the issue at bay. My wood is fir, and sometimes pine, so that doesn't help. I tried to stick to fir, but it really made no difference. Any experience out there? Thanks!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wood type and fire management are the usual suspects, but it sounds like you already know about that. How hot do you get the stove? What are you measuring with and where is it located?

Could be the design of the oven/stove, but I don't know in particular for your model. When you have a perfect burn, only CO2, steam, and maybe a little fly ash go up the stack. Anything else means combustion was less than perfect. If you have poor combustion and a cold spot in your flue, the wood gases will condense there. Perhaps you have a leaking gasket at the cleanout? Maybe get a bit of rock wool or ceramic blanket in the effected area would do the trick. Or maybe you need to insulate a little higher up.

buckcreek

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The stove gets up to 500 degrees at 6" up the pipe from stove top. It stays around that temp for about 1/2 hour each day. The stove is large cookstove at just under 4' wide by 2' deep. The official ash cleanout is under the firebox. The troublesome one is behind and under the oven. The farthest corner from the heat source. As you mentioned, a place to cool off, and also tough to really get excessively hot. I've laid back there during the summer with a hammer and chisel, but it is pretty ineffectual! The stove is tight. If the damper is shut completely down, the fire will basically go out. That is with big logs.

Latest posts