Langstroth vs. Top Bar beekeeping

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm starting to research keeping bees, I'm bubbling around the idea of trying to get some this spring.

I was wondering what is the difference between the two types of hives, what are the pro and cons of each? Which do you keep and why?

Also any other bee keeping tips and advice would be great.

I'm in Michigan which gets cold in the winter, is there anything I need to know about winterizing the bees? And keeping them happy in the winter?

Are there any bee suppliers in Michigan?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Try Beemaster.com's forum...they have wonderful info and are very nice to newbees!!! They can answer all your questions and I think they even have a category about the top bar hives. Good luck!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I was trying to find the old beekeeping thread and just about passed out when this popped up in my search! This is exactly the question I have. After a lot of book and online reading, I'm starting to form some opinions. I guess I need to have some opinions before I can decide what kind of hives to get.

I really like bushfarm.com and his philosophy on caring for things (leaving as natural as possible, no chemicals, low maintenance). I'm coming to think I will want to get a top-bar hive with no foundation.

Those of you current beeks, do you have any advice or thoughts on this? I realize that there as many ways to bee keep as there are to parent, but I just don't want my opinions to get in the way of sound advice. Thanks!

me&thegals

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I think I'm in the same boat as you. The Top Bar seems like the best option. I'm going to start building mine in the next month. I'm excited.

Another good Top Bar web site and book to check out is Barefoot beekeeping. http://www.biobees.com/

me&thegals

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip--I will check that site out. I got plans from backyardbees.com for the top-bar hive. The plans looks as bad as chicken scratchings, so maybe I will have to take a look at the plans you found, too. Good luck!

Anny--Do you have your bees ordered? Do you mind giving any details you're willing for? I'd be interested in what type of climate you live in, what strain of bees you went with, any info on how you're building your hive (painting, finishing, staining, how big, etc), if you're getting an extractor...

Thanks!

me&thegals

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Top bar hives are not for new beekeepers - but so many think it's the way to go, the biobees site is probably the best for info. I'd stick to the standard Langstroth until I knew a bit more about bees, but that's just me. Now that I do know more I'm still sticking the Langstroth. A top bar hive would be for fun, but for real honey production I'm sticking with the Lang.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Tell me more, Ann. This is going to get confusing with Ann and Anny :) I was thinking that someone with zero experience might do just as well with either system, knowing almost nothing about either. I'd really like to hear your opinions on this.

If I am mainly into bees for pollination, but would enjoy honey when there's extra, would that make a difference in your opinion?

I have to admit, the novelty of such a different way (different from what I've seen, anyway) of doing it is a big part of the pull, plus not having foundation, heavy supers, etc. But, I'd like more opinions before my own becomes cemented. :caf

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I do not have my bees yet, I'm hoping to get Italian honey bees from some one local. I'm in south west michigan.

I am not keeping bees just for honey, sure it will be nice to have my own honey but I want the bees to just have my own hive, and to help pollinate. That's one reason why I chose the Top Bar. (If I went with the lang. Hive I would do it with out foundations)

I chose the Top Bar hive because it is less invasive.

Reinbeau why do you say that TBH are not for beginners? I'm interesting in hearing your thought behind it.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Bees tend to build their nests vertically, especially if they find that kind of cavity. They will go horizontally if that's all that's available to them. They like to store their honey above and to the sides, not directly next to, the brood chamber, when they're clustering they tend to go up and then move out. Top bar hives are horizontal (although I have read of honey supers being placed over them). Quite a few beeks around here have tried top bar hives and have had overwintering problems, they are fine in warmer climates - think Kenya, I believe the top bar method originated in Africa.

As to beginners, you're going to have more readily available mentors available if you stick to standard hives. I know plenty of beeks who do top bar hives, but their main hives are Langs. It's neat and trendy, but I just don't see the point, but that's just me. Enjoy your bees anyways you want!

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
After doing alot of research on the hives I decided to go with the Topbar hive! I just got mine built by a friend and I am excited!! But I also plan to purchase a Lang and compare them for a year and see what I like and dislike about both. I like the idea of treating a topbar with powdered sugar for mites. This will be my first expierence with bees and I do not have a mentor except for online. I think Biobees is a great site for topbar hives and they have a lot of info on them. But I want to see for myself what type of hive works for me and my climate. I just like seeing hands on what works best instead of what others(no offense) say is the best because my climate and my personal preference may be different than others. But I will rely on thier expirence to help me learn to keep my bees healthy and happy. I also plan to try the Warre hive.

But OTHO I think no matter what type of hive it is great to keep bees because they are in serious trouble and need our help. Maybe the more people that become aware of thier plight can help by doing thier part.
Good luck with your bees!!!!! :thumbsup

I will be posting pics of mine on my journal and keeping a record between the 2 hives.