Lard Question

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Thanks FarmFresh. That's what I meant...the little droplets of water that would be on it after it's scraped off. I wasnt' sure if you should blot it or not. :p

My sister used lard for icing once or twice, but she said you could taste a hint of pork. :lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you are concerned about water remaining in your finished lard you can always just heat it up to melt it one more time, and cook gently till the last bits of water have evaporated. If you are storing your lard in the freezer I don't think you need to worry about a few drops of water (though I could be wrong); if storing in the 'fridge I would want to make sure there is none left.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea of how long this process takes? If I start it in the oven this morning, do I need to check it every once in awhile or can I safely go garden until lunch and not worry about it? I was reading in my country living encyclopedia that it takes 24 hours but from the sounds of what you are describing, does it take that long? I think due to volume and the size of my pans, I'm doing on in my dutch oven at 250* and then another batch in my crock pot on low. Thanks!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, you can leave it for several hours, no problem, since it is covered and the heat is so low.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
So, I'm guessing I'll have good luck making lard once I move because the butcher where I'm moving sells the "cheap unsellable ends" of the bacon to Imooto for REALLY cheap. *grins*

I can't wait. No real butchers around me at ALL.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Okay, lard is done!! Hurray! But, now I'm looking at my kitchen and wondering how on earth I'm going to clean up this mess. Yes, mess, I guess I can't pour that good even using a funnel! I'm guessing vinegar is my best bet?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Putty knife(paint scraper) paper towels and ammonia. That is what we used to get rid of shortening/lard from the big fryers that dripped all over the big kitchen -the floor, the front of the small fridge top all kinds of odd places.. we had to do it every night.. OH and that is a plastic putty knife. Like the ones that you get with the deep freezer.