LARD

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So how many of y'all out there use lard in any of your cooking?
Either in biscuits instead of crisco
And or render your own lard ?
I hear folks say yuck lard , But it is just bacon fat with no flavor
Your comments are always welcome.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I buy leaf fat to render lard because I'm not okay with hydrogenated oils/fats or BHT preservative in my food.

I dont use a lot of lard because leaf fat is so expensive - $8/pound! I mostly use it for pie crust.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep...render leaf and other fat at hog butchering. I can mine. Stays great for a long time. Use it? Yes. I also save and use bacon drippings. Make cracklings, too. My SS days were formed at grandma's, some 65 yrs ago when I learned to make biscuits in a wood stove.

Some people curl their nose but, at goat milk too. They think bad taste. If the truly saw what a free range chicken eats, they'd never eat an egg. 😁

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I buy leaf fat to render lard because I'm not okay with hydrogenated oils/fats or BHT preservative in my food.

I dont use a lot of lard because leaf fat is so expensive - $8/pound! I mostly use it for pie crust.
Well I wish we lived close to each other because I’d give you loads of it, I have way more than I’ll ever use!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

I raise feeder pigs every year and render the lard. It makes the BEST pie crust! I use it in cooking, it is so slick and greasy that it is good for stir fry. In my Lard thread, I detail how I melt the fat.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I render lard and tallow when I can get the fat. Mostly I render schmaltz from the chickens. I used to use coconut fat and olive oil a lot. Now, I only use olive oil to make salad dressings.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I found goose fat made the best pie crust.

Been years though since we have raised geese.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We don't eat too much pork so don't use much. I use butter for biscuits and most baking. I do save bacon grease and use it for cooking. I do use the bit that I render in cooking. Same as beef fat.

I bought some lard at the store ONCE. Nasty, nasty stuff. Made the pastry crust taste funny. It's the preservatives they add that makes it taste bad. I've never had bad taste from anything I rendered myself.