Laundry soap...

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
From what everyone says, this stuff turns into a goopy mess. I haven't been able to find a recipe that makes it more of a liquid gel. So, has anyone found an excellent recipe? For now, I've just been dissolving powdered soap in warm water right before I go, or using the ungodly expensive Wisk High Efficiency that we love so dearly (mainly because of the scent).
I'd love to be able to make my own, and use my own scents, but the product of most recipes is just not what I'm looking for.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been very pleased with the recipe that has been offered on this site.
I take a wisk to it before I pour it into jugs and before I fill my measure cup to put it in the wash I give the jug a shake. I've made my third batch this week. There is a recipe for a dry version but I don't know it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Are you talking about a Jello consistency, as in not pourable? That's what happened with my first batch, so this time around I just reheated the whole thing and doubled the water. I'll also double how much I put in my load. It's still not pourable but is scoopable and will slide from my liquid detergent spout into the washer. Good luck!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The two-gallon recipe is wonderful!!! I did a batch with fels naptha and my current batch with homemade soap. The fels naptha cleans better, so I will return to that for my dirtier stuff, and use the homemade soap version for lighter soiling, like towels.

My first recipe was very solid, but I tried to make a more concentrated version by using half the water. I think I would've needed to slice it to use it! But the next batch was fine, I used a whisk while melting it, and it came out great. I shouldn't have messed with the recipe. That is likely the thread you read, so don't go by me.....I always have to experiment, it's a sickness..... :lol:

So what if it is not as smooth as the commercial brands? :p It is healthier for us and our septic systems and the environment, and costs under a buck for a 64-load batch! And you recycle plastic when you search for a container to put it in, as the ingredients all come packaged in paper or cardboard. Win-win-win! Trust us, give it a try, you have so little to lose, and so much to gain.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
The two-gallon recipe is wonderful!!! I did a batch with fels naptha and my current batch with homemade soap. The fels naptha cleans better, so I will return to that for my dirtier stuff, and use the homemade soap version for lighter soiling, like towels.

My first recipe was very solid, but I tried to make a more concentrated version by using half the water. I think I would've needed to slice it to use it!
This is why I took a whisk to it. First I broke it up into large chunks with a spoon then used a whisk for about 2 minutes. It was fine after that and could pour it into the half cup measure. The little pieces remaining dissolve in the washer.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Have you tried the powdered recipe? My first batch was the liquid, but I was not happy withthe results-(gloopy), so I tried the powdered. It dissolves wonderfully in cold water. I will not switch back. also making it is less work and time =money

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Miss_thenorth, what soap are you using in it? I have not been able to find Fels Naptha around here and wondering what other Ontarians substitute with.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
breconbcs said:
Miss_thenorth, what soap are you using in it? I have not been able to find Fels Naptha around here and wondering what other Ontarians substitute with.
I looked for fels naptha too, but Idk if they sell that here. So I just bought several bars of laundry soap. One kind is Sunlight, and I can't remember the name of the other kind (bought it at NoFrills). I made a small batch first--tried it. Cleaned well enough, so I made a huge batch using all of the boxes of washing soda and borax. I made that big batch on Sept 1, 2008, and have only used half of it. I'll never go back to regular laundry detergent.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you need to be super-frugal, the liquid version uses FAR less ingredients per load than the powdered version. Also might be important for those with super-sensitive skin.

But the powdered version is still FAR cheaper than any commercial brand, and nicer, too!