Laundry Solutions / Upcycle Clothing

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Thread for photos and instructions for salvaging clothing by laundry processes.

Stripping, stain removal, etc.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My next project is a 100% silk turtleneck. From ThredUp, paid $3.90 on final sale (clearance, as is, no returns)

Shirt looks dull, feels coarse/scratchy, is shrunken and has pit stains. Looks like a laundry problems to me! I'm curious what will happen 😁 due to shrink I dont expect to add it to my wardrobe. Its like XXS, size 0-2. Labeled S size 4-6.

20220922_190509.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have a light green shirt on that is a hideous color. i asked Mom if we could squirt it with ink or something to make it look better. then i asked about getting some brighter green dye because i hate wimpy green color clothes. no luck with either of those ideas so likely we'll just bleach it and hope it ends up white enough that i don't want to barf when i see it...

institutional green is almost as bad as institutional peach...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm someone who regularly has to use WD-40 to remove hydrolic fluid and aircraft grease from shirts.
Wow, I would never have guessed!

Super Clean degreaser in the purple bottle works wonders on laundry. I used it diluted 50% most of the time, sometimes full strength. I damaged one thing using it full strength, beware. I stopped using products with fragrance so I haven't used it in a long time.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My next project is a 100% silk turtleneck. From ThredUp, paid $3.90 on final sale (clearance, as is, no returns)

Shirt looks dull, feels coarse/scratchy, is shrunken and has pit stains. Looks like a laundry problems to me! I'm curious what will happen 😁 due to shrink I dont expect to add it to my wardrobe. Its like XXS, size 0-2. Labeled S size 4-6.

View attachment 20391
I soaked it overnight in a solution of washing soda, tide free/clear powder, odormute and BIZ. The first two are for removing oils, the second two are for removing organic material (sweat, etc).

It wasn't as bad as I expected.
20220923_064258.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hmmm peach. Now thinking pie! :lol:

i was so glad a few hours ago when i was done cleaning out and eating a small melon that i dropped the container with the skins and seeds and gunk (technical name there right?) and the top came off. so i had a reason to take the shirt off and wipe the floor after i'd cleaned up the mess. i told Mom that i was putting the shirt in the dirty clothes and that the next time she bleaches something she can do what she wants with it. i felt like a mental institution prisoner the whole time i was wearing it. i wouldn't even wear that shirt to a vomitorium...