Laundry?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got a question that I am curious about. How often do you do laundry?
I have read, from numerous sources - some on SS, others otherwhere on the internet (blogs etc) - particularly in connection with making one's own laundry soap - that the people writing seem to go through laundry soap a whole lot quicker than I do :lol: Today, for example, I read on someone's blog that she bought laundry soap (didn't say how big a container) when she was out of the homemade, and it only lasted a week! I also don't know how large her family is, but I believe there may be a couple of children. I have a hard time grasping that, even if the bottle were small and the family large - only one week?
So, how often do you run the machine? We are a family of 2 adults, and I will do 4 to 5 loads every 2 to 3 weeks - usually over the coarse of 2-3 days, as my laundry line can't hold more than 1-2 loads a time. I want to figure out if , in relation to others, I either 1) have way to many clothes/towels/sheets, or 2) have an unusually high tolerance for wearing/using things a little longer before tossing in the laundry basket, or 3) don't use as much soap per load.
I don't feel that we two are particularly grungy, but perhaps my perception is off.
(I understand that families with children will probably have a much higher usage than I do)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have two teens who do their own laundry, plus hubs and myself.

The girls do a colour load and a dark load on Friday afternoons when they are home early from school (early dismissal on Fridays).

I do a white load (including the girls' whites), and a colour load every Monday.

Hubs does a dark load and a sheets/towels load every couple of weeks.

So we do 4 loads per week plus 2 extra loads every couple of weeks. Neither the girls loads nor ours are huge other than the sheets/towels, but we have a front loader so it weighs the clothes and only uses enough water for the load being washed.

We only use about 1/4 of detergent or home made laundry soap per load, it doesn't take much :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2 adults, 3 kids. Lots of linens and cloth napkins, dish towels etc..

I have to do at least 2 - 3 loads per day to keep up.

g

Zoldani

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Two adults and one teenager, 2 loads once a week. Preferably the 2 sunniest driest days, no dryer.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
When the kids were home there was 1 adult, 3 boys/teens and early 20s. With me working and the boys in school/working, we'd do a lg. load every other day or so.

We reuse clothing and personal towels/washcloths.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
2 adults, 3 kids. Lots of linens and cloth napkins, dish towels etc..

I have to do at least 2 - 3 loads per day to keep up.

g
Tankshill, do you wash the cloth napkins etc after each meal, or re-use them a few times? I use cloth napkins too, but unless we eat fried chicken or something like that they get replaced every week or so (This isn't feasible with children, I realize. but school age kids should be able to get through a day or two with one napkin). One of the first *adult* type presents that I and my siblings received as children was a nice napkin ring with our name on it. Dishtowels go for a day or two at least. Sheets are changed every two weeks. but I have enough to go several months between washings - though I don't; I do a load when I can fill the machine.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
just me and the critters here...
1 animal (blankets/bedding for the dogs) and 1 light/white (most underwear, cottons) per week
1 dark every 2 weeks or so (i re-wear so it tends to take me a while to ear enough jeans/dark t-shirts) and same goes for brights/colors
sheets/pillowcases are bi-weekly...

i also have a small apartment sizedfront load machine so i realy dont go through alot lol.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well I admit I could probably push the napkins a day or so but since I'm running the wash anyways......

Doing a couple loads a day doesnt really bother me so much. In good weather I hang most of it on the line.

It's the folding and putting aways that drives me nuts!!!

:p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've always dreamed of having that perfect laundry room with plenty of natural light from numerous large windows looking out on some pretty scenery, a great work counter with a drop down ironing board, places to hang up clothing for drying on the hanger, plenty of bins and shelves for storage, a utility sink, and a good sound system/radio.

Bliss.... :love

I had one sorta like that once but it wasn't large enough and didn't have any of the storage or utility sink. I had hinged an old wooden ironing board to the wall and had made curtains out of old 50s era aprons of different designs and colors that I had hung with clothes pins onto twine...it was charming but I just needed more space and storage/working areas.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
2 adults here and I normally do no more than 3 loads a week, some weeks I do none.