Ldychef2k roof problem

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Ldychef2k, that little twister looks like it did a number on your property. Anyways I can't tell how big your attic is or if you can get up into it but had a similar problem when i first bought this place with roof leaks. I bought a couple of $5 plastic tarps and stapled them up inside the attic roof making sure the ends landed beyond the walls and into the eves until I could replace the shingles.

From the looks of your roof pictures the $12,000 cost probably comes from a complete tear off including sheathing and truss repair rather than just shingle replacement.

Being 2000 miles away would be a bit further then I could economically travel with 2 pig bulls, though the offer of home cooked meals does sound appealing I don't remember if you are one of those who try to trick men into eating bean burgers.
Sincerely, an omnivore with canine teeth
XPC / KFC.

stapled attic tarps
tarp.jpg

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Hey, I could live up there, no problem !

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it much. My attic is maybe two feet high, just a crawl space, really. The people who checked it out last year found extensive water staining along the A/C venting, went up on the roof to seal the A/C flashing, which didn't work. That's when I had the pictures taken of the peak of the roof.

It would be nice if we had another burst of wind, maybe get the insurance company involved. Would save a lot of trouble....and money.

Bean burgers. I am sure they are delicious. But tonight it is Cowboy Spaghetti -- with BBQ pork, beans and corn. Tempted????

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Tempted like Wild Bill riding a tempest in a teapot mowing your backyard. Six eggs a pound of bacon and some fried potatoes will get me to Kansas City but the dogs need eating too. Tell your family as succinctly as possible that for every slice of fresh homemade bread you give them is a shingle off your roof.

My attic is 7 feet at the center and could make a nice room for a cook, give up that nice weather and bring your pots then we'll talk.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been thinking about her roof all day, hoping all is in one piece. This is a heck of a storm system. I hope you are riding out these storms at someone elses house after seeing the picks of your poor roof.
I have been making preps all week for this darn wind. All the animals are stir crazy not being able to get outside.

Let us know how you are doing??

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I can't tell you how much it means to me that you asked.

The roof is leaking into the house, of course. We have heavy storms coming in the next few hours, so we shall see what happens. I have lost 100+ feet of fence, about 40' of fascia, all rain gutters and downspouts, an untold number of shingles, etc.

The insurance estimator was here about an hour ago, in the middle of a deluge, and he saw the fallen fascia and the rotten trusses, put them in the estimate, and if the insurance company okays it, at least the edges on the front of the house will be repaired. He saw the veggies that were sheared off by the "twister" and put me in for "landscape damage" as well! I was surprised.

Even though I was advised by others to pad the claim, I decided to be completly honest, and otherwise just let the Lord touch the heart of the estimator. I feel good about the results.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I can't tell you how much it means to me that you asked.

The roof is leaking into the house, of course. We have heavy storms coming in the next few hours, so we shall see what happens. I have lost 100+ feet of fence, about 40' of fascia, all rain gutters and downspouts, an untold number of shingles, etc.

The insurance estimator was here about an hour ago, in the middle of a deluge, and he saw the fallen fascia and the rotten trusses, put them in the estimate, and if the insurance company okays it, at least the edges on the front of the house will be repaired. He saw the veggies that were sheared off by the "twister" and put me in for "landscape damage" as well! I was surprised.

Even though I was advised by others to pad the claim, I decided to be completly honest, and otherwise just let the Lord touch the heart of the estimator. I feel good about the results.
Smart move in my opinion. It always pays to be honest.

Glad you are ok and glad the estimator seemed sympathetic. :hugs

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Cowboy Spaghetti? :th Where is the recipe? Do you need extra help? Gosh, if I was closer I would work for exchange of some of your recipes....:D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have a feeling, given the character and loving hearts of the people here, I would be doing a lot of cooking ! LOL

I made up the recipe...I had some canned pulled pork in BBQ sauce, so all I did was boil the pasta (leftovers of several types, particularly wagon wheel), the add the canned pork which i chopped really fine, a can of black beans and a can of corn. Seasoned to taste, added a bit of catsup and some bacon, and that was it. My son-in-law and two of the three DGD loved it for dinner last night while daughter was at school. I love cooking for them. I was never able to afford to pay her tuition, so now that she is in graduate school I am watching the girls and cooking meals for them and their dad on school nights. It makes me feel like I am making some kind of a contribution.

Latest posts