learning how to provide some healthcare for the family

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok well once upon a time mom or grandma did most of the doctoring and I am not so sure that was a bad thing. Knowledge is great but all these medicines and chemicals we put in our body seems to be making things worse instead of better. There is also the looming healthcare issues we are facing also. So what are you learning to deal with these issues? Anyone studying natural medicine? Suggestions on books or courses to take? How about diets? We have started to try to clean up our diet and hopefully that lessons the need for me to be doctoring but I still want to be ready.

Right now I am learning reflexology and accupressure. The accupressure I am studying on my own some but I also go to a nurse that does this and she is great about teaching too. I had my doubts but I had such a great response I am a bit sold on accupressure. Ok so thats what I am doing right now. I dabble in aromatherapy. Light dabbling at best. I do use herbals but again its dabbling. I want to be able to provide for and encourage the continued health in the family. My parents are relatively healthy. My dad does have heart issues though so that worries the living heck out of me. Husband is healthyish sorta. Cholesterol could be a bit better but its not bad enough to go on meds. Kids are all pretty healthy. I have seasonal brochitis/asthma issues that right now I am controlling completely with herbs and diet. Just shy of 10 months since my last steroid treatment and I am really trying to avoid the poison. Anywho just curious what everyone else is studying and doing on this? My husband assigned this problem to me so I think me and my DD are going to be learning a good bit of this together.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We live in town on a small lot. Nevertheless, I keep hens in the back yard for eggs and have a garden in the front yard in beds. We try to eat the right foods and are selective what we buy in the store. I use no chemicals in the house or yard. I am chemically sensitive and cannot tolerate all cleaning products, perfumes, air fresheners, or anything with a scent to it. It amazes me that on any can of spray air freshener, there are dire warnings about ingesting it, but spray it in the air and suck it deep into your lungs???? I would suggest to rid your home of chemicals. Go as natural as possible in your cleaning products. Just for grins, go to your cabinet and get a product. Then go to your computer and look up all the ingredients and what side effects they have.

Do what ever you have to do to keep your husband off cholesterol meds. Some of them have life altering side effects. Control it with diet. My sister took Lipitor and now has a rare form of MS. She was in fairly good health before taking Lipitor. Did the Lipitor cause her illness? It would be hard to prove, but she was OK before she started taking Lipitor. I am not completely anti-meds, but almost. ;)

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of the regular posters on here is taking a correspondence herbalist course. I think it is Rhoda_Bruce. (Hope I have her name right!) She is learning a lot-might be able to suggest a course for you if you wanted to take one.
As for me, I try to stay away from doctors and regular medicine as much as possible, but when I got a horrible eye infection three months ago, I went running to the eye doc pretty darn fast. And I'm still taking antibiotics, as much as I hate to.
I really like the idea of growing herbs, and gathering wild medicines, and using herbal formulas. However, there seems to be a big disconnect for me between growing and using. I know dandelions are one of the best wild greens for you, and I am willing to use them, but my DH absolutely refuses to eat them. Last time I sneaked some in a salad he spied them and picked them all out!
I am growing several herbs now, so I am just going to try to slowly incorporate one at a time into my routine. I have several herbs for teas, so that is a good place to start.
I have rheumatoid arthritis, and while it is pretty well under control (with meds!) I still have a few places that get terribly swollen and painful. I have found that using DMSO combined with veterinary liniment works really well to stop the pain. But the DMSO smells so bad and leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. (this is from rubbing it on my sore joint--it goes right into your system) I have read that if you use it regularly, you will start to smell like the DMSO. Yuk! This stuff is not labeled for use on people, or animals, for that matter, but is a widely known pain reliever, and I think, paint stripper or something. :hide
I think learning reflexology would be very helpful, or accupressure. And that seems possible to do on your own, with books and charts. good luck to you on your mission!

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think more and more people are trying to take control of their health and this partly stems from the distrust of big pharma companies. For example the sales of statins to control cholesterol are making them billions and more and more people have been put on these drugs before any attempt to control by diet. It's all about profit not health.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's the thread that so lucky mentioned: Herbal Studies.

okra said:
It's all about profit not health.
True that, okra!

I have been "dabbling" in herbals for many years...just basics like treating colds, upset stomachs, cuts, bruises, insect bites/stings. etc. My favorite book is The School of Natural Healing by Dr. John Christopher. You might also find these video lectures interesting: Dr. John Christopher's Lectures

SkyM

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Well, natural remedies are best as you do not have to worry about side effects. I prefer home remedies from small kids..

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I started dabbling in it also. natural herbs etc. learned alot. still need to know alot more.

but remember, side effects happen all the time with natural remedies also!! don't think cause it is natural is it without side effects. Alot of it can be dangerous.

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not only are herbal and natural remedies very useful and mainly without side effects but I am also interested in the healing effects of food or food avoidance.

Whenever I have a slight cold or flu, which is thankfully not very often, I increase my intake of raw garlic and onions.

Many people are also allergic to foods without knowing it and this can cause illnesses which are then treated with medicines.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
so lucky said:
One of the regular posters on here is taking a correspondence herbalist course. I think it is Rhoda_Bruce. (Hope I have her name right!) She is learning a lot-might be able to suggest a course for you if you wanted to take one.
As for me, I try to stay away from doctors and regular medicine as much as possible, but when I got a horrible eye infection three months ago, I went running to the eye doc pretty darn fast. And I'm still taking antibiotics, as much as I hate to.
I really like the idea of growing herbs, and gathering wild medicines, and using herbal formulas. However, there seems to be a big disconnect for me between growing and using. I know dandelions are one of the best wild greens for you, and I am willing to use them, but my DH absolutely refuses to eat them. Last time I sneaked some in a salad he spied them and picked them all out!
I am growing several herbs now, so I am just going to try to slowly incorporate one at a time into my routine. I have several herbs for teas, so that is a good place to start.
I have rheumatoid arthritis, and while it is pretty well under control (with meds!) I still have a few places that get terribly swollen and painful. I have found that using DMSO combined with veterinary liniment works really well to stop the pain. But the DMSO smells so bad and leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. (this is from rubbing it on my sore joint--it goes right into your system) I have read that if you use it regularly, you will start to smell like the DMSO. Yuk! This stuff is not labeled for use on people, or animals, for that matter, but is a widely known pain reliever, and I think, paint stripper or something. :hide
I think learning reflexology would be very helpful, or accupressure. And that seems possible to do on your own, with books and charts. good luck to you on your mission!
Have you tried using just the liniment and no DMSO? Perhaps Absorbine gel? Or a liniment with capsacin in it, like Equiblock/ If you do use the Equiblock, use gloves (so you dont rub it into your eyes), and only apply a little at a time as you learn how it affects you- it can really burn some people, but it doesnt burn me- I rub it in and cover the area for extra heat, one application kills the pain for a week!

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I started dabbling in it also. natural herbs etc. learned alot. still need to know alot more.

but remember, side effects happen all the time with natural remedies also!! don't think cause it is natural is it without side effects. Alot of it can be dangerous.
I understand that one. I know some things I have tried did not have the intended effect. St johns worth and passion flower are 2 that i simply cannot use. Apparently I have odd reactions to herbs not just meds. I was so jittery and hyped up and nervous. It was awful. I try to take it slow and I do keep a diary of what I try and issues I run into.

Slowly our house in getting a bit more clean. Its a slow process. I have a mother here with us who is addicted to windex i swear. I have a dad addicted to lysol. No amount of studies or speeches can change them. Food I have much greater control over. We raise alot of our own veggies. Some of our own fruits. Some nuts. I free range my hens and thankfully don't eat a store bought egg more than once or twice a year. I can't wait because my goats are close to giving birth and soon i will have goats milk to enjoy also. We are more than a year away from our own cows milk though. Beef I get from a local butcher because I have developed an intolerance for any raw meat sold at the store. If its frozen already I am ok but thats the only exception. I switched to unbleached and unbromated flour. Apple cider vinegar with the mother. I am still working on ordering water and milk kefir grains but I will get around to it. We stopped buying any premade or boxed bakery goods or mixes. So one step is started but I think learning to deal with illness will go a long way also.

I found a great free site on reflexology to get me started and another on herbs that has free herbal recipe book and wild food cookbook to download. My book list is not long yet but I am researching everything as I go.Hubby already agreed to make me a raised herbal bed.