LED shop lighting conversion?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
jhad1066 said:
I found a comparison from Popular Mechanics detailing incandescent vs cfl vs led. Here are some highlights (no pun intended) as well as the link. Interestingly enough the cost of operation of cfl's and led's are very similar,
Thanks for posting. I think the CFLs are still a good investment. But I think the LEDs are the wave of the future, and I want to get some experience with them.

What I don't like are the bad reports regarding Phillips products. That's why, to my mind, a warranty is important. Warranties are important for tools and devices - like a blender, electric drill, lawnmower... in our household, we have a sizable filing box for warranties, and we've asked for (and gotten) quite a few replacements of items that broke down during the warranty period.

It's possible that Phillips's lab-test units, or any other company's for that matter, have been careful inspected before being given to the labs. But that the ones they've been distributing for consumers have had bad quality control.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Thanks for posting, Hinotori. Do the Zenaro bulbs come with any sort of warranty?

Ever since I learned that some of the Phillips products have lasted only a matter of weeks (not 20 years or something like that), I've become a little nervous. After all, Phillips is a very well-known company!
The Zenaro bulbs come with a standard limited warranty and a guarantee to operate for 3 years when used as directed.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks, jhad - that's useful analysis.

Clearly, when the product works as advertised, it can save you money in the long run... even though the up-front investment per bulb is much more than with incandescents. I think warranties are important in case you find the product doesn't work as advertised (for instance, if instead of the five years it might be warrantied for, you get five weeks before it blows).

I'm continuing to gather information. I put my question onto a more specialized forum called "Lighting" and got some good input. So, for anyone else here at SS who is wondering about investing in LEDs (for shop or house), I'm posting a link to the thread on this other forum:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lighting/msg0312562013759.html?12