Lemon Verbena.....what to do with it?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I got this fragrant little bunch of Lemon Verbena. What should I do with it?

f4b0a60c.jpg

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Make a pound cake (or some sort of white, plain cake), and put a few leaves in the bottom of the cake pan before pouring in the batter. Maybe grate some lemon zest into the batter as well. Or cupcakes, one leaf per cup. They also make a soothing before bed tea - large handful to a teapot, covered with boiling water. Make some apple jelly, and add a leaf to each jar. Dry the leaves, crush them, and sprinkle on the carpet before vacuuming. They'll get sucked up into the vacuum bag, and make the job smell a little lemony.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am making some chevre....what do you think if crushing up some of the flowers and mixing them in? Too weird of a taste to go with goat cheese?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've never used the flowers, but I don't see why you couldn't. I think a bit of lemon might be very nice with chevre. I would not use the leaves in anything where they can't be taken out before eating, as they are tough. But you could steep them in hot milk intended for a pudding, like you might do with a vanilla bean.
I envy you your little bouquet; my lemon verbena bush died over the winter :(

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks ORChick :)

I found a recipe for creme brle using steeped leaves.....sounded yummy!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Make soap with it! People love lemon verbena scent so I bet if you infused it in olive oil it'd make a lovely bar with the dried herbs added for texture.