Let it go on too long.......................

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
For years my fridge has had a tendency to collect some ice crystals or even occasionally freeze lettuce leaves- I would turn the temperature down and it would get too warm so I just let it go and lived with the icing.
But I finally got the manual out (the when-all-else-fails-manual) to see if something could be done and- surprise surprise- there was.
It seems that that it is just not turning down the fridge part but balancing the freezer section then the fridge section.
I've been using a meat thermometer to get the freezer section right and then the fridge section. As this entails turning the sections down,, it hopefully will save some energy.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
For years my fridge has had a tendency to collect some ice crystals or even occasionally freeze lettuce leaves- I would turn the temperature down and it would get too warm so I just let it go and lived with the icing.
But I finally got the manual out (the when-all-else-fails-manual) to see if something could be done and- surprise surprise- there was.
It seems that that it is just not turning down the fridge part but balancing the freezer section then the fridge section.
I've been using a meat thermometer to get the freezer section right and then the fridge section. As this entails turning the sections down,, it hopefully will save some energy.
Ours does that too, but it's a arsey fridge anyway, about 10 years old and needs replacing because the previous owners were disgusting pigs and left food to rot and go mouldy in there, the freezer reeks of mould.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
The other thing it said to do was to clean the condenser coils but that turned out not to be the problem.
I read something somewhere about cleaning out the dryer vent if your clothes started taking too long to dry. It worked for me too.
I really hate maintenance but it is important to save energy..

I can just hear the "if you would hang out your clothes, you wouldn't need the dryer." Unfortunately in winter here, I live in the clouds- at least they look like clouds down the hill, up here it looks like fog. Goes on for days. Clothes hung out get wetter, not drier.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
can just hear the "if you would hang out your clothes, you wouldn't need the dryer."

******You will sure never hear that from me! :)
I love dryers. Hanging laundry has its place and dryers have theirs..LOL

thanks on the info. My old refrig had that problem. not often but anything would freeze in the back...hmm....I never looked at the manual..LOL. Now I know. and yup, maintenance is super important!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Haha dryers.. we dry our clothing in the winter using the dryer because it freezes stiff as a board on the line, no matter what.