Let's talk about tables

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here is the problem with any table, potting bench or the like.... I can never seem to stop myself from making it a catchall- and when I need it, the surface is always piled high!! I hope you are better about things in their proper place, than I am!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lesa said:
Here is the problem with any table, potting bench or the like.... I can never seem to stop myself from making it a catchall- and when I need it, the surface is always piled high!! I hope you are better about things in their proper place, than I am!
:yuckyuck

Same here...we haven't sat at the kitchen table to eat dinner in a few years now... :p

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Mother Earth News has directions for building a full sheet cutting table that folds up against the wall:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1985-03-01/Mothers-Full-Sheet-Cutting-Table.aspx

This is what I'm leaning towards. What kind of set up do you have in your shop? What do you like about it? What don't you like or would do differently next time?
I think a table that can fold up, and thereby allow you more usable floor space, might be a good idea in many instances. I don't have one single shop area, I've got three (each less than ideal - but with the three, I do okay). I've got a wleding & metalwork area. It has a metal-topped table and a good heavy metal vise there. I've got a kind of narrow basement area with benches, and with both wood and metal vises. And I've got a portion of our large outdoor shed (which also has firewood stacks and garden tools & equipment) - this is where my sawdust-spewing table saw is sited. When I get time, I may post a picture or two showing the benches.

Okay. Well, for me, a shop bench needs to have a good, heavy vise. A fold-up table probably would not work for me.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
what are you wanting to use the table for?

i often find that light-weight tables are just not good enough for if i want to use to tools or something on them... they wobble and bounce around. i much prefer a solid, heavy workbench for in a shop type environment.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Up in post #4, I said I'd post pictures of my workbenches when I found time to take some. So here are two of my three workshop spaces, benches plain to be seen, I think.

This is my basement shop area. Fairly narrow, cramped by spaces devoted to other functions in the basement. The benches showing are built-in and very basic (framed with 2x4, topped with 2x8). I've also got a heavy-topped workbench that was in back of my picture-taking position, and it has a wood vise on it.

4407_basement_shop_1.jpg

This is my metal-working area. It's in back of the barn I converted and built an addition onto (all devoted to a sculpture studio for my wife). My metal working area is unheated, semi-enclosed. Concrete floor is a good safety feature when working with high-heat processes. One bench has a metal vise mounted on it, but the metal-topped table next to is is where I often weld (if I'm not working on something on the floor).

4407_metal_shop_1.jpg

I've also got a small area in our large shed for my tablesaw. The large shed - not terribly picturesque - also houses garden tools, a lumber rack, and a winter's worth of firewood.

I'm sure some people here on SS have nicer shops. I'd like to see pix, no matter whether you've got a wonderful shop space or not.

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Lesa said:

Same here...we haven't sat at the kitchen table to eat dinner in a few years now... :p
I have this problem too. Mount Laundry has taken up semi-permanent residence on my kitchen table. I think though, that if you have a table that can fold up against the wall when you are finished with it, then you'd be OK. Well, that is if you clean up and fold it up when you're done working! I know that would never happen in my house! :barnie

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Lesa said:

You mean you're supposed to be able to eat at your kitchen table? :hu

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: We eat at our table...or at least most of the time, we can eat at it.

We currently have one long bench type table like in Joel's first picture. Our shop is/was an old milk barn, so there are raised concrete areas (somewhat like a long, shallow bowl shape) on two sides of the main room. We have the bench type table over one of them. There are plans to do something similar on the other side. But having a large, drop down table would come in handy for cabinetry work or other woodworking projects.

I'd like to be able to walk around at least three sides of this table, yet I'm not willing to give up the floor space for something permanent. Something large would be great as I like to refinish furniture. I guess that's why the MEN full sheet table caught my eye.

My BIL has a big metal desk that he uses for a table in his shop. Nice square corners and edges for him to measure against.