Life is too busy right now.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
WE have so much going on it makes my head spin! Dh rented a tractor over the weekend & we got so much accomplished, now i am getting the inch of dirt out of my house!! Not to mention the garden is done except for building 2 more raised beds out of cinderblocks(freebies), so we are watering & checking for sprouts(lots of them btw). the cattle, ram chickens & duck to be feed & watered everyday. Sat I took my entries out to the fair grounds to enter them. I entered applesauce, apple butter, yeast rolls, chocolate brownies & the ugly cake contest. Tomorrow(weds) we will be taking ds's chickens & eggs out to be entered too. He is entering his cock & hen both for breed & him for showmanship. And he is entering the eggs from the hen & our araucauna(green) for judging too. So we both have 5 entries this yr. This is the first yr I have entered anything & they told me I was the only apple butter entered so there is one ribbon she said. Although when she gave me my claim tickets, she said to pick up my "ribbons" so maybe i have a chance at a few. The ugly cake contest pays $60 for first prize!!! That is why I have not been on here much & won't really be after tomorrow as we spend almost all day at th fair grounds during fair week. Ds shows his cock Fri morning. Ontop of all this trying to get schoolwork done too!! Guess we will be doing it at the fair too. Next yr I might have dh stay home & the kids & I take the travel trailer over there & just stay for the week as ds plans on entering other animals next yr ontop of his chickens. Hope everyone is doing well with SS.

ldburton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Isn't everything you are doing "schoolwork"? Just a thought. Have a great week.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
The fair sounds like a great experience for you both! Good luck on your entries...sounds like a lot of fun :)

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, that's busy! I would love to enter some of my canning projects at the fair.
We're on spring break here for our homeschooling so we're just doing some canning and gardening right now. Good practice for the kids.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
WE have so much going on it makes my head spin! Dh rented a tractor over the weekend & we got so much accomplished, now i am getting the inch of dirt out of my house!! Not to mention the garden is done except for building 2 more raised beds out of cinderblocks(freebies), so we are watering & checking for sprouts(lots of them btw). the cattle, ram chickens & duck to be feed & watered everyday. Sat I took my entries out to the fair grounds to enter them. I entered applesauce, apple butter, yeast rolls, chocolate brownies & the ugly cake contest. Tomorrow(weds) we will be taking ds's chickens & eggs out to be entered too. He is entering his cock & hen both for breed & him for showmanship. And he is entering the eggs from the hen & our araucauna(green) for judging too. So we both have 5 entries this yr. This is the first yr I have entered anything & they told me I was the only apple butter entered so there is one ribbon she said. Although when she gave me my claim tickets, she said to pick up my "ribbons" so maybe i have a chance at a few. The ugly cake contest pays $60 for first prize!!! That is why I have not been on here much & won't really be after tomorrow as we spend almost all day at th fair grounds during fair week. Ds shows his cock Fri morning. Ontop of all this trying to get schoolwork done too!! Guess we will be doing it at the fair too. Next yr I might have dh stay home & the kids & I take the travel trailer over there & just stay for the week as ds plans on entering other animals next yr ontop of his chickens. Hope everyone is doing well with SS.
I am in the exact same boat. So much farm work it is insane. I have zero time also. Steal a minute on the puter every now and then.

$60 for ugliest cupcake....I could easily win that one..HA HA HA
mine are lopsided all the time and I can frost with the worst of anyone..HA HA

cool

Good to hear from you Pam. Keep up the hardwork....!!! :lol:

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ldburton said:
Isn't everything you are doing "schoolwork"? Just a thought. Have a great week.
I do try to get some lesson out of everything we do around here for ds. Not to mention he is learning how to fend for himself foodwise for the future too. Thanks!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hey Karen, "puter" time is not much right now & I have so many on back emails it will take me a few mos to get rid of them again!! But once the heat sets in we will be inside a little more in the daytime & maybe that will help to get rid of a bunch or do it at night after the kids are in bed. Danielle, slept for the first night in her "big girl bed" last night(toddler bed). For about 2 weeks we tell her it is time for bed & she goes off to her room after telling everyone goodnight, so we got it out again to try it. Last night we told her bedtime & she did goodnights & went & crawled in her bed & after about 6 hugs & kisses for me she rolled over on her side, thumb in the mouth & said goodnight one more time & never heard another word out of her!! I hope it continues to work. But after the next 3 days of being at the fair grounds all day she will be tired each night anyway so that will help with getting her into a routine I hope.
I planted extra of a lot this yr in the garden, so I am hoping I will have extra to sell. We think we will just sell from here on Weds & Sat mornings for a few hrs each time(or as supply lasts). If we are successful this yr with it then I will have ds#1 design a website for us & teach me how to update it each week(for what is available & prices) & we can help offset our waterbill then. We are looking at getting at least 20 more hens as i want at least 24 layers if not 30. With Richards d'Uccles we will be tring to hatch some in the little incubator I got off ebay(5 is the most it will hold). Even if I just keep those eggs for myself then I will be okay for eggs once they would all start laying. I am posting an add on freecycle & maybe craigslist right after Easter to see if anyone is tired of the chicks they got their children for Easter to take them off their hands. I also found an idea for next Easter to earn estra & that is to rent baby chicks for $30 for 2 weeks for Eastertime. I would supply the waterer & starter for them to feed it & they would return it in 2 weeks(if it dies then no one is really out too much) So if we like the incubator hatching we will get a bigger one & make sure we hatch enough hopefully to meet the demand. Glad to see you posting a little something, haven't seen too much of you around either.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA HA
I liked reading about her new bed. Nicole did the same. I got her a full size toddler bed and the "big girl" bed makes it easier to put them to sleep. She WANTS to go also...with thumb in mouth..HA HA HA I can picture her cause Nicole does the same...too cute!!!!

Yea I can't post much. Just no time. Come winter it is so much easier and my markets all aren't in full swing yet either. Just the season for busy......

"Rent" chicks.....I never heard this one??? Why rent a chick? LOL-LOL---I don't have a clue who would rent a chick???? LOL

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Still trying to get caught up on everything I did not do last week because of fair. We are doing well with the bed so the crib is coming out this weekend!! More room in her bedrm then. Only 1 night of problems the rest have been good nights for going to bed(thank goodness).
There are people who buy their kids chicks for Easter but do not want to keep them after a couple of weeks, so we thought we could rent them out & then we get them back after a few weeks to finish raising to lay for us later(or cull if cocks). Then they do not have to keep them forever or make up a story about them dying. We will also allow them to come visit their chicks later if they choose to(of course we will have to fudge on the cocks a little won't we?). I am going to send you some pics PM from Scotts b'day party, it is all 3 of the kids(sorry i'm not in them). But Scott looks a lot like me.