Life's turning points....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Do you all know that feeling? That bittersweet feeling of getting what you want....but then comes the sinking feeling of reality....that what you wanted comes with a price?

My son #2, Eli, swore in to the Nat'l Guards this week and will be going to basic training in Nov. He decided that this was the best way to fund his Vet Science tuition and he has always wanted to be in the Guards anyway...so, he did it! I'm proud of him for getting started on his life and not hanging around after high school, but I will miss him...oh, so much!

I always wanted my boys to become men...so many often do not complete that cycle, you know! ;) But...the mom in me is standing here with my arms outstretched...letting go? or trying to keep him? Right now, I feel like the latter inside... but must show the former on the outside.

As soon as he completes basic and tech training (in the Explosive Ordinance Division, of all places! :barnie ), he will be going to Colorado to school. Can we get any farther away from the family???? :rolleyes:

#1 son, Joel, is on his way to Wyoming to work the oil fields....seems like a plethora of jobs that pay well out there.

Down to #3, who will be turning 17 in Jan. and will be signing up for the Guards the day after. Tactical Recon, of all things!

Then there were none..... :(

On a lighter note, a nice lady on the BYC gave me the biggest, most beautiful rooster I've ever seen today! He is a Blue Orpington and is the color of the Blue Ridge Mountains here. He is sweet and HUGE (only 5 mo. old and would make 3 of any of my standard breeds) and my new favorite chicken. Eli named him Sweet Lou!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ahh empty nest syndrome is even harder to take than waiting all day for everyone to come home from school and having them race through the house for something to eat and be gone again until bedtime:>)

Don't frett though, even after they've left they are still in and out for the next few years...that's been my experience anyway...just get a bedroom cleaned up and turned into a space for you and they will come back and you'll have to reorganize again:>)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You kiddin? I'm gonna follow them! :D One will be in WY, one in CO, the other...anyone's guess! Me? I'm movin' to Montana! Lifelong dream of mine and I'm going to pull up stakes and just DO it! That way the bedroom that I keep ready won't be so very far away from all the action! :lol:

#2 is thinking of settling in Montana as well, and I want to help him get his vet business off the ground by acting as his vet tech for awhile. Always wanted to do vet work but could never take that long at school with all these mouths to feed. Besides, he has promised to help me build my strawbale/cob dream home out there!

Empty nest? :coolsun I'm gonna build me a new one and maybe fill it with foster children...too much mom still in me, at the age of 42, to put it in storage! :clap

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wonderful ideas! I'm so sorry for what you must be going through right now. I've had a tiny taste of that with both being in school now... And, we've begun the fostercare process too :) What a great place to put those mothering instincts!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ahh, it is hard to see any kid truly become an adult and start a real life....without total Mom interference..LOL...but you might also be feeling this way cause you apparantley have a huge life change coming up also.

so a little freedom for the kids, do their thing, then ya re-unite out west...COOL---great life ya got going!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I really didn't imagine it was going to be this hard, as I am a crusty old soul with scars on my knees from getting knocked down so often. Thought I could be stoic about it, but inside I am having a big ol' heartbreaking sob fest!

These boys are my best friends and, as I have been without a husband for companionship, they will be leaving a huge gap in my life. I guess I never really thought about this day, as I was too busy living to think about my life...you know?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Good gosh Beekissed- your boys didn't just leave, they took rockets to the moon. I pray that they will find what they need and do so safely. Pack your woolies for Montana, put a snow shovel in the car when you go- if you get stuck you can shovel snow into the trunk to add weight over the wheels.
I can just see ol' Momma Beekissed with her crate of chickens tied to the top of the car arriving in the wild, wild west.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Morel! I didn't know you did comedy in your free time! :rolleyes:

I rather think I've forgotten how, actually.... :| May someone shoot me in the head if I try to find out! :)

Enough whining by the crusty ol' crab...thanks for listening to the ol' biddy whine about her chicks!

Now...did you all read about the big, blue roo I got? I will post pics soon. This ought to turn my ordinary flock into SUPER CHICKENS! Imagine breeding this giant to my standards....man, what slungers! AND he's perty! :D

Latest posts