lingering cough

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
This summer, my daughter went through yet another bout of pneumonia and it was treated with the usual battery of rx meds by a dr.

Then her brother came home from Iraq with a bad cold. In her compromised state, she of course caught it.

It was a doozie, though thankfully the major cold symptoms are now gone such as chest congestion, phlegm, runny nose, headache and fever. However, now she has a constant, pesky, dry (shallow) cough that just won't go away.

It is really very irritating for her but not something that warrants going back to the dr.

Does anyone have a natural or home remedy that will soothe a dry cough?

(P.S. her asthma rx isn't helping this cough.)

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Take vitamin C (ascorbic acid) to bowel tolerance.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Fill a turnip with brown sugar and let sit for 24 to 36 hours (It will taste kind of mediciny when done) Pour syrup into jar and refridgerate, take as often as needed. Turnips are known to be amazing healers for the lungs. This really works for both kids and adults.

Another thing that might help is 1/4 tsp baking soda in a glass of water. Drink it all down. Not sure how often you can do this though...

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Baking soda changes the PH of the body. Some people cure cancer with it. You have to check your ph levels frequently though to keep them around an 8.
http://phkillscancer.com/vernons_dance_with_cancer

this site will start the learning process on how to use baking soda for many different conditions. I have three big boxes as part of my survival stash. Wrapped and sealed in plastic.

http://sodiumbicarbonate.imva.info/

and this page deals with colds and flu. I haven't tried it. I haven't had a cold or flu in ages.
http://sodiumbicarbonate.imva.info/index.php/administration-methods/for-cold-and-flu/

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BBH - let us know which one works...when I get sick it always goes to my lungs, too...:(

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I know it's kind of oldfashioned and low tech but a spoonful of honey whenever you get coughy usually helps at least somewhat.

Good luck to you all, so glad she's doing better now,

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've had just such a cough for well over a month now...doc thinks I had whooping cough. I've tried all my usual things....honey, OJ~gallons of it, even threw in gallons of Cranberry juice for good measure. Been popping OTC meds like Skittles and even took a few antibiotics until I had a reaction.

I will tell you an amazing discovery I made this weekend. I went to a wedding and imbibed in one little drink called an Amaretto Sour and I haven't coughed since. I'm serious.

I've been coughing so badly that I get nauseous each morning and have to throw up and dry heave over and over before I go to work. I've been as weak as a cat over this thing. I've also been peeing my pants off every time I cough....not a good thing. :/

Imagine a woman coughing so hard she pukes and starts squirting pee at the same time....no physical way to do this unless I puke into a pan while sitting on the commode.

Stop laughing!!!! :rant :smack :tongue

Alright...it is very funny. Laugh away! :D

It's only funny now because it has stopped. Cold turkey...er...or rather, Amaretto whiskey? Not sure. Anyhoo....I've often heard that Canadian Mist can help a cough, so why not this.

I am so very happy to be rid of a cough like this. I hadn't had a cold or anything of this nature for many a long year but I've been feeding myself pure junk these past few years and deserved just what I got~sickness.

Contribute to the minor and see what happens....maybe nothing, maybe something. Who knows? :idunno

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I can believe that the alcohol helped your cough :>) I threw a birthday party for DH a few years back and someone was making flaming zambukas for everyone. They were actually lighting it right in your mouth and shaking cinnamon in there with a salt shaker...it created quite the display LOL! ) My neighbor had a sinus problem that he had had forever and a day...and it disappeared completely after that night...flaming zambookas??...he seems to think so. But maybe it had more to do with the cinnamon...who knows...but the neighbor said he should have partied with us years ago....heeeheee!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Sally I have been praying for your daughter and your family. Praying for miraculous and speedy healing from the surgery and healing for the tonsil problem.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I SO feel your pain, Beekissed! I had the same thing, would cough until I threw up, then the coughing would stop for a bit. One time it was pneumonia, this year it was "just" bronchitis. Both times it took predisone & azithromycin to get rid of it. I drank bottles of Nyquil & other OTC, nothing would touch it. My niece suggested tequila, which DID help for a time ("mas tequila!").:lol: