Little chickens growing up

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Took some pics of the feathered babies this morning. I have (I think) a Gold Brahma and the black one is a new hybrid called a DaisyBelle

IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1179.jpg

Tirtzah

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello frustratedearthmother:

Awwww......how cute!!! Hopefully we will have our chicken house finished by spring and
can get our own chickens started here on our 2.91acres.

Actually, just finished reading your "Journal Questions & Answers"....not sure how exactly
it was that I wound up there??? However, you mentioned there that you were interested in
going solar. I just found a website that I really like a lot!!! It is askaprepper.com and he has
on that site an article about "HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN SOLAR PANELS". The way to get to
that article is: to put in that web site with the / after com and then to put in those words
one at a time divided by the - in between each word. I hope that I'm not breaking any rules
by giving anyone this info (since it is a different website)? If so, someone let me know and
I won't do it anymore)! I just joined this site a couple months back and have read a couple of posts back then. But last night I finally got caught up with myself and posted an INTRO. So I'm not yet exactly familiar with how this one is set up......also, I am not exactly quite
sure how to navigate this site yet or where is the best "thread" to post things under? Maybe
you all can help me with stuff like this? It usually doesn't take me very long to learn.

Well, since you asked specifically saying you wanted to learn or know how to go solar and
you are trying to do everything yourself or just using yourself, your family and resources
that you can come by to make things yourself, like I am and the majority of us here, I did
want to get that info to you, specifically! However, everyone here would probably want to
read that article, I would imagine! So where can we post that info here so that people
would know it is on here and can find it easily?

Thanks!
Tirtzah

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Little chickens moved into their new brooder today and so far so good. I keep them in the same room as my mealworm farms, as it's usually warm in there (for the worms). About 3 days ago they discovered their wing feathers, shortly followed by discovering the mealworm tubs… Yep, you guessed it. I walked in on two crops with beaks, feet and fluff attached. They recovered within a few hours and their enthusiasm for worms is as strong as ever :)

The worm colony took a chick size dent, but I have enough going to take the loss.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your chicks are cute. For me, I'd have more than two -- usually do when I mess with chicks. Lots of work.

I'm interested in your worm colonies. My hens love them and they are quite expensive -- esp the way I feed them :cool: TSC has them on sale this week $20 for 30oz....usually $24.95.

I've read they don't escape the plastic containers (THAT would be necessary). Where/how do you start them? what process to mature them, etc.? Tell us, pls.

Hey earthworms could be easier for me. ;) My hens free range but in winter, less available worms at top of colder soil.

Last edited:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I keep telling myself that it's too early to put eggs in the incubator.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't have room for them in the house and have nothing set up outside, so I need to wait. Of course if I get any early broodies....:D