Live without plastic! Can I do this?

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
I have been interested in eliminating BPA from our bodies. So far I have purchased glass containers for the water and drinks in my frig.,and some non BPA z*plock containers.

Then I saw this site http://lifewithoutplastic.com/ and thought why not set a goal of cutting the dependence on plastic anything? :he

So... this would be just some of my personal things I would like to have alternatives for:
Acrylic yarn
water bottles
cosmetics and lotions containers
plastic bags
large plastic popcorn bowls
ice cube trays
hair brush and comb
toothbrush
non-leather fashion shoes and sandles :th
It would be a start. I could change some of the small stuff that I have direct contact with or my food and drinks have contact with.

There are a lots of manufactured products that I wouldn't have the choice like, large appliances, cars, computer, phones, etc.

I have to make glass, wood, and stainless steele my friend.:rolleyes:

This would also help me to make up for some my indirect participation in the Gulf of Mexico oil leak.

What could be added to this list?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Old Sew'n'Sew said:
I have been interested in eliminating BPA from our bodies. So far I have purchased glass containers for the water and drinks in my frig.,and some non BPA z*plock containers.

Then I saw this site http://lifewithoutplastic.com/ and thought why not set a goal of cutting the dependence on plastic anything? :he

So... this would be just some of my personal things I would like to have alternatives for:
Acrylic yarn try wool
water bottles metal or glass
cosmetics and lotions containers
plastic bags
large plastic popcorn bowls weave ash baskets, turned wooden bowls like the best salad bowls are now
ice cube trays I have metal with a lever to break out the ice, there used to be pure rubber but I haven't seen them in years
hair brush and comb Wood, metal,Natural bristles
toothbrush tough one
non-leather fashion shoes and sandles :thcanvas but usually held together with plastic or plastic glue
It would be a start. I could change some of the small stuff that I have direct contact with or my food and drinks have contact with.

There are a lots of manufactured products that I wouldn't have the choice like, large appliances, cars, computer, phones, etc.

I have to make glass, wood, and stainless steele my friend.:rolleyes:

This would also help me to make up for some my indirect participation in the Gulf of Mexico oil leak.oh I thought you had a practical reason ~gd

What could be added to this list?

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think the idea might be not to bring any new plastic into your life, versus replacing the plastic that is already there.

it is tough! I personally find plastic wrap a hard thing to do without, but I've learned canning jars work for all kinds of leftovers that I might have used wrap on before.

If you are thinking about cosmetics...have you checked the websites regarding how toxic most of them are? might want to give that a shot, it is a hell of a lot worse than the bpa stuff you are worrying about. Not that that isn't important too, but ... the stuff you put on your skin where toxins are directly absorbed is much scarier to me.

hope you keep us up to date on how this challenge goes for you!
way to go for taking it on.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I think the idea might be not to bring any new plastic into your life, versus replacing the plastic that is already there.

it is tough! I personally find plastic wrap a hard thing to do without, but I've learned canning jars work for all kinds of leftovers that I might have used wrap on before.

If you are thinking about cosmetics...have you checked the websites regarding how toxic most of them are? might want to give that a shot, it is a hell of a lot worse than the bpa stuff you are worrying about. Not that that isn't important too, but ... the stuff you put on your skin where toxins are directly absorbed is much scarier to me.

hope you keep us up to date on how this challenge goes for you!
way to go for taking it on.
I am also trying to decide what to do about plastic wrap because I make bread almost every day and use plasic wrap to keep in moisture and keep out stuff while the loaves are rising. I am going to see what I can do with wax paper, or just a wet pastry cloth.

About cosmetics I try to keep them to a minimum. I suffer from chronic rosacea, and I find that using the organic mineral make up works fine, because some of it is in recycled cardboard packaging, but some of the other things that are necessary for controlling this condition are packaged from the store, and pharmacy, in plastic bottles and such. (I never gave cosmetics a thought before I developed this condition! I didn't used to use them.)
I must go thru a daily routine of oil control or I can get flair ups that can last for a long time.
I must put my face on when I go out. :lol: The older the barn the more paint it needs. :gig But, seriously there is no cure for rosacea, and no one knows what causes this.wearing the powdered mineral make up actually helps more than none at all. It absorbs the oil that causes the very painful acne.

I also don't do caffeine, spicy foods, sun, or saunas.

Some of the things that actually work are: organic apple cider vinegar used topically as an astringent , the supplement L-lysine, Vitamin D, ant-inflamitory diet with lots of fruit.

I am looking into making my own soaps, lotions, and sunscreen lotions, then I will store them in old fashioned glass containers.
There was a rather extensive discussion on this a while ago.... http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/vie hp?id=3254

It bears resurrecting and it just really discusses food prep, storage, and other kitchen stuff.
Free thanks for the tip. that was before my time here I will read it.
Thanks for your interest. :thumbsup

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
At first I thought this was about living with no credit cards (plastic) which I have been doing for about 5 years now. It is a lot harder to do without the other kinds of plastic and do try but typically fail miserably.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just a thought; I haven't owned a hairbrush in over a year and going strong! If I'm going to the barn I might use my horses, but otherwise fingers work just as well. And I do have thicker curly hair :)