Local news stories...

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought starting a thread about our local news stories might be interesting. Kinda like the 'Stock up Alert' to notify others of sales on foods & stuff in different areas but about news stories that may have some effect on others.

Our local news (King5-Seattle) has had some interesting stories lately. Yesterday they reported something about getting Eastern WA farmers to grow a NON-edible crop to be used for biofuel (not corn) to REPLACE their wheat crops. Sorry I didn't get everything in the story since it seems as if everytime I want to see the news-kids, DH, dog, etc get in the way by demanding my attention. :barnie I couldn't find anything on their website about it, but did find a little something on WA Dept of Ag site but it didn't mention alot of stuff that was in the story. (sorry I guess I should have done alittle more homework before posting but I wanted to get the info out there)

Tonight there was a story about shopping for foods & being able to distinguish between gmo & non-gmo foods. The reporter was saying that the processed foods had higher chances for gmo ingredients because of the corn & soy AND an 'organic' label only means roughly 75% organic...100% organic means actually 95% (or better) organic ingredients. Okay, so I think most of us already knew this anyway, but the most revealing information was when she talked of identifying fresh fruits & veggies. On the little sticky label on most fruits ( and veggies???) there is a 5 digit number........if the first digit starts with 8_____ IT IS GMO!!! (suppose to be rare) and if the first digit is 9____ IT IS ORGANIC!!

Now if only I can figure out what is irradiated or not :barnie

eta....found the link for 'how to decipher food labels' watch the video in the link for the report. www.king5.com/health
I still can't find any info about the 'crops for biofuel'

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Darn- no stickies on our fruits or veggies in the store. The best I can do is to buy from local, or at least Vermont farms. There is a huge non-GMO movement here, so even if it isn't "organic" which, you're right, means little anymore, it probably isn't GMO.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've always wondered about those little stickers on the fruit and veggies at the grocery store. I very rarely buy produce at the store, but have always been irritated by those darn stickers when I do. Now I can't wait to go into Publix again and check out the numbers!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
easy breezy--take the fruit up to the produce person and say "where did this originate from, how was it shipped, with or without being irradiated or not? :lol:---I bet they don't have a clue! :)

interesting info tho

edited to say, not common store personnel don't have a clue!