Long Term Storage Buckets....

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm looking for food grade poly type storage pails/buckets...I want to store some larger amounts of rice/bean etc. I plan on using the nitrogen or is it oxygen packets?.. in the sealed buckets fo extended self life.
My question is does anyone here have some links to sites with good prices and shipping for these type storage containers..? What are the best type for 2-3 yrs storage..? Do i need to use a special type bag that goes inside the bucket ,the fill with rice and seal...?
Advice and links from those in the know would be greatly appericiated....thanks...kevin

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Have you tried Uline? We buy boxes from them and I think I saw food grade stuff in the catalog.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Restaurants usually have them piled outside the back door or by the nin bins...they are used for grease and lard then thrown away. You will have to clean them, but they will be free:>)

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Check out this web site.

http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/gammaseals.html

They are currently having a sale on Gamma Seal lids for the buckets and they have the buckets as well. I would try to get FREE buckets first from your local supermarket bakery or other places that sell baked goods and cakes that are made in the store (Dunkin Doughnuts, local bakeries, possibly even resteraunts orthe school hot lunch program). Ask them if they have any that they are going to toss out. I get mine from my local supermarket (Price Chopper), I have gotten a half dozen so far. I just have to wash out the remaining frosting. Resteraunts get all kinds of things in these buckets like lard, soy sauce, etc. If you can get the buckets for free, the Gamma Seal lids are not such a big expense.

Here is a good web site on storage shelf lifes also
http://millennium-ark.net/News_Files/Food/Extend_Shelf_Life.html

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks VtChicklit... and everyone else, just what i was looking for...:)Kevin