Looking for a Pretzel Recipe

NurseNettie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My husband loves big doughy pretzels, so I'd like to find a recipe/ process for making them. Does anyone have a great recipe? Thanks in advance!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Here are two of my favorite pretzel recipes...

Soft Baked German-Style Pretzels

Makes 6 to 12 pretzels

3 1/2 c flour
4 T brown sugar
2 t salt (sea salt or kosher)
1 t yeast, dissolved in the water
1 c water (120) fairly warm but not hot
2 t baking soda mixed with 1 cup hot water
1 T sugar
1 egg beaten with 1 t water

Mix water/yeast, brown sugar and salt in a food processor, or a large mixing bowl. Add flour and mix until dough is smooth. Add more flour if sticky. If possible let the dough sit overnight in a plastic container in the fridge.

Now divide the dough into 6 or 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope, very thin, a little bigger than a pencil. Shape into an upside down U shape on your table. Bring the ends together and twist them. Flatten the ends and bring to the top of the pretzel and press in the dough to secure making it look like a pretzel. Place on a greased cookie sheet.

Now let the pretzels raise for a 45 minutes or till about double in size. Dip in the water-soda solution. Brush with beaten egg and water solution. Sprinkle with coarse salt, garlic and parmesan cheese, cinnamon sugar, or sesame seeds .

Bake in a hot oven 450F for 12 to 15 minutes or until well browned. Brush with melted butter and eat!

New York City Soft Street Pretzel

Makes 1 dozen large pretzels

INGREDIENTS:
1 c hot water
1 pkg active dry-yeast
1 1/2 c flour
2 T soft butter
1/2 t salt
1 T sugar
1 1/4 c additional flour

Combine hot water and yeast in a mixing bowl. When dissolved, add flour, butter, salt and sugar and beat for 3 minutes. Stir in additional 1 1/4 c of flour and knead until dough loses its stickiness. Place in a greased bowl and cover, allowing to rise until dough has doubled in size.

Punch dough down and divide into 12 equal pieces. With the palms of your hands, roll each piece into 18-inch ropes. Twist and loop into desired shape. Place on greased baking sheet and let rise until doubled.

Preheat oven to 475F.

Ready a solution of 4 cups water and 5 T baking soda. Mix together in glass or plastic bowl. (Do not use aluminum.) Dip pretzels into mixture and return them to greased sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt and bake until browned, about 12 minutes.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I also have this recipe from my school days, but I have never made it.

Soft Pretzels

2 Tbsp dry active yeast
1 1/2 cup apple or white grape juice, lukewarm, unsweetened
1/2 tsp table salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 large eggs, beaten lightly
4 cups all purpose flour

In a large mixing bowl, combine half the flour, oil yeast and fruit juice. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 to 3 minutes.

Stir in the remaining flour.

Knead on floured board for 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Add more flour if dough is sticky.

Pinch off pieces of dough and roll to form 16 inch long ropes.

Twist into desired shapes and place on lightly greased baking sheets.

Let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.

Brush with egg and sprinkle with salt.

Bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until brown.

NurseNettie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Update--- I tried the New York City recipe above, yesterday. They were GREAT and delicious, and easy!!!!! I had hoped to post pics here, but my camera didn't work when I took them yesterday--must be ghosts. I'll try to take more the next batch I make!