Looking for a simple bread sponge.

buckcreek

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Tried making sponge based bread, but not pleased with the result. I've made bread all my life, but just my grandma's dump method. Soaking grains, then adding raised yeast, flour and molasses. My son's housemate made a wonderful sponge bread, letting it sit all day, before making a firm loaf. Can't seem to get the amounts of flour/ water / yeast, to get that special consistency. Any help out there?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Try making the sponge the day before baking and refrigerate. What type of flour are you using, white or whole wheat?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can make your own sponge with wild yeast. You just mix flour and water together and let it sit for a few days, covered with cheesecloth. Rye flour works best, then you can slowly convert it over to wheat flour as it ages and as you add flour and water to the sponge. You can find how-to's on line for this. I have had great success doing this, but the varieties of wild yeast in my area aren't very tasty.:(
Oh, and someone on this forum suggested that when making sourdough bread, let it rise only once. When it gets to the appropriate size, pop it in the oven.