Looking for easy freezer casserole recipes

Strysa

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am looking for some simple casserole recipes that I can put in the freezer for an easy meal later. We are getting ready to have our first baby soon and I thought it would be nice to make a few meals ahead for when I don't feel like cooking so much. I am not much of a chef so the more simple the recipe the better. I have a few casserole recipes that we like but I am not sure how they would tern out if I froze them first. The sloppy joe casserole recipe we really like is made with crescent rolls for the crust and I don't think that would tern out well if it was frozen first. The other one we like is a pizza casserole and it uses grands rolls for a crust, also not sure how that would be if it was frozen first. I would love any ideas, or if anyone has tried freezing either of those products and then cooking them. I guess I am just not really sure how to change the baking directions.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hash Brown Cassarole
2-3 large potatoes, grated or hash browned (I have a mandolin and it slices perfect hash browns)
1 container sour cream
1 stick butter
1 chopped onion
2 cups crushed corn flakes

Mix hash browns, onion and sour cream, pour into buttered cassarole dish. Top with crushed cornflakes, pour melted butter over the top. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Freeze before cooking.

hope you like it, it is always a hit at family gatherings.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
These all freeze well and taste yummy--hope they help!

Chicken Pot Pie

2 cups cooked chicken, chopped/cubed
2 cups chicken stock
1 onion, chopped
celery, chopped
Rosemary, salt & pepper to taste
2 cups mixed veggies
4 potatoes, cubed

Bake in casserole dish (no lid!) until hot and bubbly and veggies are starting to get tender, stir in ~1 tbsp flour to thicken, cover with[/i] pastry or biscuit/dumpling top and bake till golden.
Zanzibar Chicken

1 onion, chopped
olive oil or bacon fat
chicken, cut in strips
garlic
1 t ginger
1 t cumin
1/2 t turmeric
1 t curry
salt & pepper to taste
1 can coconut milk
1 small can tomato paste
1 T lemon juice

Saut onions in oil/fat, add chicken and spices and brown chicken, pour in coconut milk and tomato paste, bake half an hour.

Serve over Jasmine rice and garnish with cilantro if desired.
Pepper Beef

Brown stir fry strips or stew beef after dredging in salt & peppered flour, add a jar/can of crushed tomatoes and lots of chopped onions, slow cook all day, add chopped red or green bell pepper about an hour before serving--serve over rice or noodles.
Lentil and Bratwurst Stew

4 cups beef broth
2 cups tomato sauce
1.5 cups lentils, rinsed and drained
1 cup beer (didn't have any so I skipped this part but I'm sure it would deepen the flavour)
1 onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 cups sweet potato, diced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
2 garlic cloves, crushed
salt & pepper
12 oz smoked bratwurst, sliced

Cook lentils in broth/tomato sauce mixture along with beer, veggies, and spices till veggies are tender. Season and add sausage, cooking till heated through.
Sweet Mustard Pork

1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup dijon mustard
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
salt
pork chops

This is a freezer recipe, so I mix all of the ingredients together in a freezer bag or casserole dish and freeze. Then thaw it in the fridge and pull the chops out of the marinade and grill or bake. You can heat up the marinade in a pot on the stove and baste the chops with it as they cook!
Curried Turkey (or Chicken!) Turnovers

1 lb ground turkey/chicken or cooked shredded turkey/chicken
4 green onions, sliced including white bulb end
1 pint canned tomatoes, broken up
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup raisins (left this out because DD17 doesn't like raisins)
1 heaping tablespoon curry powder (recipe called for 1 tsp but we like our curry)
salt & pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
pie crust dough for double crust pie

Brown turkey with veggies and spiced, add canned tomatoes and simmer gently till liquid is mostly reduced, let cool. Roll pie crust dough out to make two rounds, spoon half of turkey mixture onto HALF of each dough round, fold the other half over and seal the edge with water, crimp with fingers or fork. Wrap each turnover in heavy foil and freeze. To heat and serve: cut a couple of slashes in the top of each turnover, then bake at 375F for about 25 minutes or until turnovers are golden and filling is heated through. Serve with plain yogurt or sour cream and chutney.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I'm not a casserole person so no recipe here. But next time you make up a casserole that you like, freeze some over night as a test. Just a spoonful or so. Bake it the next day to see how it holds up.
I am going to bet it will be good.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Make Easy Lasagna, bake and freeze.

Easy lasagna uses dry, uncooked noodles and then about a cup more of sauce, water, tomato juice, combination... liquid. Put two smaller pans together in the morning, bake them that night. One for supper, the other for the freezer. OR bake one large pan and freeze in smaller portions.

I was going to post a recipe, but my computer is not cooperating and I'm short on time. There are many recipes online if you don't have one you like.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When i make lasagna or enchiladas I make two batches. Lasagna I bake both cool one then cut into serving sized pieces wrap and freeze. Enchiladas I put the second one straight into the freezer. Bake in slow oven (350) for 1 hr.

I make tuna casserole freeze and bake same as enchiladas. I make pot pies bake same. Any cassetole that you put a crust or bicuit/ cornbread topping on do not put it on before freezing. Bake for40 - 45 min.then put toppin/ crust on and finish baking.

Soups stews and chili freeze well also

Monica

Latest posts