Looking into solar power

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have started looking into solar power...mostly just reading about it on the net and looking at products...and, it is just about all Chinese to me.

While I would love to put up panels all over our roof and power all our needs, we could never begin to afford it, but I don't want to scrap the idea of starting somewhere.

I guess that "somewhere" would be to start small with some kind of solar equipment...portable or permanent...that we could build on over time. My main thought is to have some kind of solar power if we were ever out of our regular electricity for an extended period. We have a gasoline generator, but you know they can break down or you can run out of gas in an emergency situation and may not be able to get more gas because of whatever emergency that may be.

I would like to go beyond enough solar power to charge my cell phone and a small light like some of these things I see online, but I am not even sure where to begin.

Does anyone here have solar power...to any degree, and could you share you experience/expertise.? Or, does anyone know of a source of information like "solar power for dummies"?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw some flexible roll out panels that seemed interesting (considered emergency use) that are suppose to be cheaper. They are suppose to be quick to set up and cost less. I can't remember much except for these reasons that got my attention. The man who built the Earth Ships was talking about it on YouTube.