Lost Hydro for 12 hrs yesterday. You?

Entropy1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Got the electricity back on after 12 hours yesterday . Heavy wet snow/ice and a bit of wind brought a bunch of lines down. So glad we have a wood stove, kept the house at 21 deg C.

We lit 2 tea light candles and 2 oil lamps. When the power went off at 2:30am my power failure alarm woke me ... it was then that I realized we only had 5 pieces of wood in the box for the stove, so we filled it. Tried to sleep, then went for a walk around the hood, then to sleep. We started the generator and ran extension cords at about 2:15 pm only to have the power come back on, then put the generator away and wrap up the cords. I did not have to dip too far into my reserves of gasoline and kerosene, will save that for the next outage.

Anyone else "Survive" the day?

Entropy

DSCF2999.jpg

DSCF2998.jpg

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
:welcome to SS and the journaling crowd!!! We survived, we actually got our gas stove hooked up.....very good!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We haven't lost our power since August-when Irene blew thru. It was out for almost 24 hours, but many others were out longer. I was so glad we have a generator.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We haven't had a power outage for more than about four hours for a few years. Less trouble when they happen during daylight hours!

When they happen after dark, well... Helpful items: woodburning main-floor heater, candles, kerosene lamps, an easy-wind-up LED flashlight, a bright 50-hour battery/LED flash lantern, an oldfashioned plug-in land-line telephone, a battery transistor radio. Anytime: a propane, two burner camp stove.

I've heard that there is a way to switch your home's 120v circuit breakers off of grid service and onto power from your generator. So you can plug into wall outlets. I do not have this set-up. But someone like sunsaver, here on SS, probably knows how it's done. (Although sunsaver himself probably relies on the power stored in his battery bank, from his solar panel system.)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
I've heard that there is a way to switch your home's 120v circuit breakers off of grid service and onto power from your generator. So you can plug into wall outlets. I do not have this set-up. But someone like sunsaver, here on SS, probably knows how it's done. (Although sunsaver himself probably relies on the power stored in his battery bank, from his solar panel system.)
That's how ours is. My hubby hooked it up himself. Our house is all electric, so it helps. If it happens when he's at work, I just start up my small generator if I need power for anything. He won't show me how to switch everything over since he's afraid I might kill myself.

Entropy, your pics are pretty, but you can keep that white stuff there!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gorgeous pics! Honestly, I'm glad we don't have the snow. We're having a really mild winter so far. :clap I suppose I should go get the box that has all the candles and crud for emergenies. It might be hard to find in the dark one night.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Our power goes out at least once a month. It usually only lasts a few minutes, but just last week it was out for 4 hours. In the summer it is worse. Last summer one outage lasted 2 days. Hopefully they are finding all the faulty equipment in these smaller outages so this summer won't be as bad. :fl

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We lost it a month ago due to a transformer blowout then we lost it for a week about 4 years ago......